Saxo knocking noises

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NorthernPaul

Saxo knocking noises

Post by NorthernPaul »

Hi all,
I hope someone is able to give me some advice.
I recently bought a saxo and there is a knocking noise from the front end. It only happens when turning left and seems worse between about 20 - 40 mph. Nothing heard when doing tight circles in Asda's carpark. Guy who I bought the car from had a mechanic look at it and he said there's nothing wrong with the car.
Any ideas greatly appreciated
Thanks
Paul
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Guy who I bought the car from had a mechanic look at it and he said there's nothing wrong with the car.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Course he did, Paul - all cars should make knocking noises, as eny fule kno! [}:)][}:)]
Evil sarcasm aside, is the noise rhythmic and proportional to road speed, or does it occur when you go over imperfections in the road?
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

The bottom balljoints may be knbackered: (jack up securely and test by holding wheel at 6 and 12 oclock and shaking). If worn (likely to be passenger side, replace entire lower wishbone as MUCH easier. Common failing - been there done that.
Failing that, strust MAY be worn: unlikely. or broken spring. Check for oil leaks/spring breakages.
NorthernPaul

Post by NorthernPaul »

Many Thanks for those suggestions.
I'll check the balljoints and for problems in the springs.
Mike in West Yorks, the bumps in the roads around Leeds don't seem to affect it. It only makes a noise turning left then it is a constant knocking until I straighten up. Best way a can describe the noise is like knocking on a door.
Paul
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Paul
Hmmm....if bumps in roads around Leeds do not affect it, then nothing will, except maybe Kirklees roads! [}:)] It still may be a driveshaft problem, but check for play in everything else first, esp balljoints as madasafish suggests - the load on these changes when you corner