Leaking Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tuftus
My Cars:

Leaking Xantia

Post by Tuftus »

Hi all,
Just got back from the exhaust garage to cure a blowing exhaust and spotted a leak of an oily type substance that appears to be coming from around the front Left Hand Side of the engine bay.
It seems to be in front of the engine near the mudguard area of the front spoiler, the fluid appears to be like oil and was not bright green and there seem to be some thin pipes that are coiled in that area.
Anyone know what this could be and where from, the haynes manual is as much use as a chocolate fireguard and I have searched the site for ages...
Car is a Xantia 1.8SX if that helps.
All the best
Andy
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Is it leaking from the coiled pipes?Was the "oil" black?
If the LHM hasn`t been changed for ages,this will be black/brown.I`ll have a look on mine & see what the coiled pipes are.
johnny
My Cars:

Post by johnny »

Coiled pipes in the area you mention are LHM fluid pipes and I agree that if LHM fluid has not been changed for ages it could be brown/black in appearance.There is also a flexible pipe which runs from the bottom of the pressure regulator. Fluid could be leaking from the pipe to regulator joint (sealed wiyh an 'O' ring) and running along the pipe before it drips off.
Johnny
Tuftus
My Cars:

Post by Tuftus »

Thanks for the feedback, the fluid was like clean engine oil in appearance and sticky like engine oil but I am not sure it is engine oil as it is due for a change later this month...
I have recently had all 6 spheres changed if this helps, could this perhaps be connected?
Cheers
Andy
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

check the gearbox drain hole and the drive shafts where they enter the gearbox as this sounds like gear oil. Smell the leaking oil if it has a strong smell it's gear oil.