C5 Cruise Control - How low can you go? - Update

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

allmond
My Cars:

C5 Cruise Control - How low can you go? - Update

Post by allmond »

Hi
Some of you may remember I've been having trouble with my cruise control which my local agent can't seem to fix. When the car was new it wouldn't go below 50 mph. Now it's down to 40, but the handbook says 25 mph.
They've been on to Citroen Tech Dept who have suggested different fixes, none of which seem to work. Now they're saying it won't go any lower.
When I bought it, I test drove an identical car - 2.0 16v auto - and it came down to 25. Even the loan car I had came down to 25.
Could those of you with C5's with cruise control please do 2 things for me?
1 How low will it go? Could you then post a reply with the speed and the engine and gearbox type?
2 If you hold the minus button, what does it do when it reaches the minimum speed? Does it stay at thet speed, or does it drop out? Again, could you post a reply as above?
Thanks in anticipation for your help - I need ammo for what I can see will be a battle with Citroen.
Jamie
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Can't help with exact figures, but some cruise controls will only work when in 4/5th gear ( or higher ).
Therefore the minimum physical speed would be what 4th does when the car just pulls itself along.
Then you have the designers, who bicker and say that cruise shouldn't be on below 35, because you'd be in a built up area, and should be more alert......
Was the loan car an auto as well ? Perhaps they're different ?
What about mileage on the car, perhaps the ECU lowers the limit as the engine breaks in ?
If I remember rightly, my dads 406 110 Hdi manual says that 35 is the minimum speed.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

My 2.0 HDI 110 manual will cruise in 4th or 5th from 25mph.
However, if you previously had CC set, then dabbed the brake to cancel it, the CC will re-engage in 4th gear from 20mph, but will take the speed back to where it was before, i.e you could accelerate from 20 to 80 in 4th gear with one press of the button if you previously had CC engaged.
I wish the CC worked in 3rd gear, it would make travelling up the hill with speed cameras so much easier, as the C5 wants to travel up there at 35mph.
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

Thanks for the thoughts so far.
The car I demo'ed was identical - a 2 litre petrol automatic and it did 25 mph. The loan car was a manual diesel and it did 25 mph. On both of them if I held down the minus key so the speed came down and down, the CC would drop out at 25 mph. Mine won't, it stays stubbornly engaged at 40 mph. What does yours do Ben?
Also, if I re-engage CC, the acceleration is fierce to say the least! More vicious kickdown than I can achieve with the accelerator!
Jamie
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Hmm, I think we've got to the bottom of this one.
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/speed
40km/hour is 24.85mph
The aparent reference speed is 25mph.
Your drop out speed is 40mph.
Sounds like the ECU has not been told about MPH/KPH country settings, or could it be that yours is correct, and the others were wrong in being calibrated for KPH rather than MPH ?
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

Matt
I don't think that's it. The computer will just count impulses, I don't think it's very bothered whether it's thinking in mph or kph. Thanks for the idea, though.
Jamie
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

Does your suspension change from intermediate to normal height at 24mph as well?
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

Ben
That's a good one! Haven't tried that yet. Unfortunately I can't try it as my local dealer rebooted the computer on Thursday in an attempt to rectify the faulty door mirror. They fouled it right up. The car wouldn't recognise the PLIPS, it can't see the wheel transponders and this morning the suspension has gone to full height and stuck there. It's not driveable and I'm seething! There'll be a blue cloud over Dorset tomorrow morning when the dealer opens I can tell you!
I will try it though, when all is sorted.
Jamie
hswift
My Cars:

Post by hswift »

Mine's a 2.2HDI with manual transmission.
The cruise control works from third gear upwards and 25mph upwards.
Howard
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mbunting</i>

Sounds like the ECU has not been told about MPH/KPH country settings, or could it be that yours is correct, and the others were wrong in being calibrated for KPH rather than MPH ?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
all BSI computers read in kilometres anyway,the only part of the system that uses miles/mph is the instrument panel so i would say that that is definitely not the problem.
As for the plips not working etc,this is more than likely due to the BSI being downloaded,they should have been re-programed afterwards.the suspension problem however sounds like something totally unrelated though.
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

Howard
Thanks, that's just the type of info I need - the more ammo the better if people can keep it coming.
Wheeler
I agree with what you say about kph/mph. The garage were insistent that they had reprogrammed the keys and had used them, but they wouldn't work when I got home. I got fed up of locking the car with the key though and found that if I turned the ignition fully on and then held the lock button for about ten seconds doing each key in turn, the keys (both of them) reprogrammed to the car. They charge £15 for that!
Jamie
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

OK - here we go with the update.
Monday morning, the dealer has to employ another garage to send a recovery vehicle to pick up the C5 which was stuck at full suspension height. The computer thought it was at normal height and wouldn't let me change anything.
Oh, and the auto headlights came on during the day and wouldn't go off.
Anyway, Monday evening comes and the dealer will bring a courtesy car to my house if I can then run him home. Oh yes please! I'd love to know where you live! (only joking.) He brings a C3 with sensodrive - wierd.
He says they've found the fault with the suspension, it's a faulty valve in the rear suspension - looks like it got wet, it's got a stain running down from it. They've ordered one which should come Tuesday but they can't be sure. I ask if the front has come down if the valve was at the back - yes it has. What was wrong with it then? Don't know.
Tuesday goes by and of course I have to ring them - they don't ring me. The service manager isn't available. No kidding.
Wednesday morning I ring them. They're doing it and will contact me later. Later in the day work takes me away from base so I ring them to find out what's happening. They've mended it and he'll bring it to my house and pick up the C3.
7:10 pm he turns up with a resigned look on his face. "I don't think you'll want this back!" The auto headlights came on and have stuck on. "I told you they'd done that, didn't I?" "Well, they didn't do it in the workshop!" "Take it back and mend it!"
We then had a meaningful discussion about how their abortive reboot of the BSI could have caused all the new problems but the dealer doesn't seem to think so. DOH!
Then my wife asks me why I don't trust garages!
Methinks it's time to speak to Citroen UK.
By the way, I still would like feedback about my original question on the Cruise Control please.
Oh joy! the dipping mirror now works for the first time in six months. The rest of the car doesn't, but the mirror does!
Jamie
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">BX 19 GTi (possibly the best car I've ever owned), <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I bet you are really wishing you never got rid of that now.
I can see lots of BX owners reading this and having a right good chuckle.
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

Oh, it gets better - tonight he rang to say he'd been bringing the car back to my house when the headlights came on again and wouldn't go off. Then the engine management light came on.
I said, perhaps it's because your computer kept crashing when you were trying to download the BSI. "Oh no, that's coincidence, all these other things going wrong have happened all on their own!!"
I despair.
Jamie
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Homer</i>

I can see lots of BX owners reading this and having a right good chuckle.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
he he he, i confess [:D]
Jamie, this sounds like one of those nightmare situations you hope you never have to go through when reading about BMW's running Windows! There was me thinking how much i'd like to be a 'real' Citroen mechanic, but it sounds like its not worht the trouble. And hell everyone knows that mechanics and computer dont mix [:D]
Hope you get some better results with this!
But DO contact Citroen UK, my dads had problems with both the AX and the Piccasso and once he gets hold of a real human at Cit UK, everything seems to get sorted pretty fast! In fact thinking about it, thats how the old BX got its 70k check up, Cit messing up loads of different jobs!