rear height corrector

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

espzetec

rear height corrector

Post by espzetec »

on the xantia. 1993 l reg 1.9td.
basically the back end is way too high. most xantias have the arch roughly in line with the top of the rear tyre. mine is about 9cm higher than this.
the height corrector is working as wheni move the lever it will go up and down etc.
do i therefore take it that the clamp on the anti roll bar needs to be adjusted to bring the ride height lower?
PLEASE HELP ME AS I AM STUMPPED
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

As you are new to Citroens and your username suffests that you are a former Ford man,
you need to know this. Any work beneath a Citroen requires axle stands to be placed very securely beneath the car. When the height corrector is adjusted, the car will crush you if you don't.
It is necessary to measure the level to which the car sinks before deciding to start fiddling with an adjustment that usually needs setting once (when the car is built) This still seems to be a height corrector linkage problem.
If the linkage has slop in it, it may well push the car up all the way but not be able to
release the car to lower fully.
Go and buy a Haynes manual and check out some of the sites that this forum links to. Without reading up a bit on these cars, you will never understand how they work. I've seen plenty of high tailed Xantias; Usually it is due to the HC linkage.
espzetec

Post by espzetec »

well spotted my man, i am a ford man!
I know about the axel stands as i changed the accumulator last weekend. thanks for the tip!
The car sinks really really low wheni put it on minimum or it is left over night.
espzetec

Post by espzetec »

having had teh car up on the old axel stands yesterday i can tell you that the spring and plastic thing are all in place and are working. going to spray the whole unit with WD40 and see if ti works.
failing that i fear a new unit may need to be aquired?
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

As Tom says, it is unllikely that the ride height needs adjusting unless someone has been at it. The fact that the height lever works does not mean that the HC linkage is not sticking in normal operation.
HCs rarely wear out - they just get blocked with dirt from LHM. They can be stripped and cleaned quite easily.
To test HC, open boot, with engine running, sit on edge of opening, feet off floor. Car will go down - count how long it takes to rise. Get up, car will rise; count how long it takes to lower. Both times should be less than 15 seconds - if not, damper in HC is blocked. You can do the same at the front.
As an aside, how clean is your LHM?
espzetec

Post by espzetec »

well i tried this also, the back end of the car does not rise up again.
the front did rise up again, but the secind time it never?!?!
so what your saying is, i need to take the HC off and clean it? how do i do this. also i need to change the LHM and filter?
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi Mr zetec (or may I call you ESP?) [;)]
It does sound as if both HCs are in need of a strip and clean, but have a look at the colour of the LHM <b>first</b>. If it is dirty, the HCs will block up again. I am assuming that all the linkages are clean and lubricated.
If LHM is anything less than bright green and clear, like Creme de Menthe (disgusting stuff, but we digress) than it needs changing. If very dirty, you need to change it for Hydraflush/Hydraurincage and run with that for 1000m, than put fresh LHM in after cleaning filters. If still HC problems, they need to be removed and cleaned. I am sure that Anders or someone else has instructions on their site for this, but if not, I can run through it when you are ready
HTH