Saxo Rust Problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

Saxo Rust Problems

Post by martyhopkirk »

Very very alarming photographs and reports from the garage trade in this months (Sept) Car Mechanics Magazine.....
Citroen saxos with very rusty undersides... If i can get the mag off my dad (he buys that and i buy Practical Classics - then we swop) I will scan the photo and post.... An R plater with broken rusty crossmember. Deeply worrying... Time for the K-Rust?
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Somebody was on about this before, had a look at my mates S reg at work ans his was really rusty around the front chasis legs[V]
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

damn Saxos.... theres too many of them on the roads, perhaps this is a cunning way to get rid of some....[:0]
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

I think demand for the Saxo exceeded production, so they cut corners!! 'We could save hours not undersealing that area', etc.
Or it could just be an area of the car that doesn't get partial galvanisation(more of an inhibitor than no rust at all), like a lot of the panels do.
I think I have seen photos of the rear chassis area of a crashed saxo. Corrosion was heavy, and on impact the rear of the car appeared to have almost folded![:(]
Environmental conditions will obviously accelerate this corrosion! Don't buy a saxo from a costal town!
My brothers saxo was starting to get a lot of surface corrosion in the engine bay, the rocker cover was even rusting. He lived in Portsmouth.
My saxo had spent all of its life inland, and barely had any rust.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I know it's not the same but I recently had a good look under the rear of my Xsara VTR (changed bumper inserts) there was no more rust or any corrostion than you'd expect on a 'S' reg car. Have seen the photos in question and if I had a Saxo I certainly would be getting the rear end wax oiled this week end in the good weather.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

On workmates car which is bright yellow, the problem was where the leg meets the bulkhead around the spotwelds not visible but lots of bubbled paint.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

yeah there was a topic about this beofre with some pics...
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=7721