Xantia cat

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bernie
My Cars:

Xantia cat

Post by bernie »

I notice that the HDI 110 has a cat on the exhaust.
Does it cause problems?
Can it be removed without upsetting the engine management?
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Cats are downstream of the Lambda sensor so it won't muck up the management. Depending on the year though, it may be a mandatory requirement- check with a Mot station.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Lamda sensors are not fitted to diesel engined cars they are for petrol only. The cat fitted to diesels is to reduce NOX gases, whereas the MOT test only tests for smoke density so therefore removing the cat will not affect the test result. I took the one off my Xantia when it was just a year old, its passed every MOT since with flying colours.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Thanks Richard, I notice that you took the cat off your VSX (pre hdi), have you taken the cat(s) off your hdi's and if so to what effect?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Why would you want to remove something that has a very good reason for being there? Diesel cats don't wear out like petrol cats, and they do a very good job of reducing some of the unfortunate nasties that diesel engine produce. If you want more power from your HDI, just chip it or fit a booster box - but leave the cat in place, please!
//NiSk
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

NiSk, I don't want to remove it.[}:)] I'm just looking to buy a Xantia hdi 110 and wondered if they cause problems when getting on a bit as per my thread http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=8919d [:)][?]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

OK, shame PSA didn't get round to fitting particulate filters on Xantias - with one of those you can be the most environmentally friendly motorists on the road (especially if you run on veggie oil!)
//NiSk
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

No I haven't removed the cat on my two HDI's mainly because of warranty and that its actually quite difficult to get hold of the front section without a cat. Whereas the Xantia just required the front section from an earlier version.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Thanks Richard