How many miles before second cambelt?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tonyb1
My Cars:

How many miles before second cambelt?

Post by tonyb1 »

Can anyone tell me when it's best to get the cambelt changed? It was done at 60k, it's now on 108k. Can't see anything definite in the history, though it's discussed a lot. Some do it every 35k, others every 70K. Common sense tells me to get it done now, but it's a bit pricey.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Having had the misfortune of a snapped cam on a renault laguna 1.8 - its pricy but cheaper than a rebuild or second hand engine.
Personal preference and from experience I would replace every 50k (some Fords etc even less than that). Even belts which have only covered 50k have been taken off with spits and missing teeth. - Worse one was a VW polo 1.3 i had back in the days of yore when i did lots of spanner work myself on my dads drive.... was supposed to have done 35k (receipt for "replacement" with car when i bought it, i had it all off because the water pump was buggered and it was held together by a prayer, the teeth were well rounded suggesting it either wasnt fitted properly or wasnt replaced when it was supposed to have been.
Get it done![;)]
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I had my belt done at 110k as i dont know when it was done when i brought the car.Haynes & Citroen recomend every 72k.Though if you do short mileage in the year,every 36k.Had mine done at a local Puegeot main dealer for £145 inc vat Jan last year.Citroen wanted £350+!!!!3 independent garages said £180-£220 ish.
The cam belt tensioner needs replacing as & when,NOT every belt change.Mine was fine,although the Pug dealer said it would be best to change it every other belt change.Depends on what the garage says at the time.My Dad is well known at the Pug dealer,so i knew they wouldn`t take me for a ride.
It would be best to get it done,as it can be pricey to put right if it snapped,also gives you peace of mind.
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

Thanks guys, I'll get it done in 6 weeks when I've got the dosh, should've done 110k by then and I don't wanna push my luck [:D]