DRAGON HDi Tuning Box Discount Offer...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

DRAGON HDi Tuning Box Discount Offer...

Post by martyhopkirk »

http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=8891
Jon had a spot of bother fitting his, and frankly when i fitted mine it was a bugger.... So in the spirit of comradeship i Emailed Dragon to see what their opinion was on why it was such a bugger on the 90BHP Hdi and this is their email in full...
"<b>Hi Marty,
Thanks for the feedback, and the comments re fitting.
As a ‘technical’ person, I’m sure you understand the problems we have here, in trying to give fitting instructions for our customers. The HDi engine is in use in so many applications in the Citroen and Peugeot range – to have each individual car model here for photographs would be impossible. In that light we have to send out a set of fitting instructions that cover the largest majority of applications - that being the Peugeot 206/306/406 models in this case. The other variable is the technical abilities of the end user – this is also an unknown to us. We sell around 50 HDi Bosch units a week – and we have one or two fitting problems related a week – so overall the instructions seem to work.
All the fitting instructions and pictures are currently being re written – and will be published on the website as well as distributed with the units – with the aim of making it easier. Obviously your comments and the findings of others who have struggled with specific areas of fitting will be taken into account then.
Some HDi’s have an extension cable on the pressure sender – that terminates lower down on the front crossmember or front of the engine block – with another identical pair of connectors – sometimes when access is very limited near the rail – it’s a lot easier to connect lower down on the second connector. But we don’t have any definitive idea as to which models have this option.
One comment made regards the length of the Dragon loom, we have had this mentioned before also, and we will extend the loom by 300mm at a convenient point in manufacturing.
Thanks again for the feedback.
If there are any other interested purchasers on your forum, we do offer ‘club’ discount rates that we apply to forums that approach us of 10% of the retail web price. Anyone wishing to utilize this deal can mail me direct here, with their registration number or ‘handle’ and we will mail a discount code back to use at the checkout.

Regards,

Ade</b>"
Their email is: dragon@mrhoot.com
Bear in mind these retail at about £249, but often crop up on eBay at a reduced "reserve" of £149 - £199
From personal experience i can heartilly recommend them though, and their after sales is excellent... Its just fiddly to fit to the 90 version, but not impossible.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

What are the (ad)vantages of a Dragon box versus chip replacement?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Well TBH , and remember there are a few "black boxes" on the market, not just Dragon. The only advantages are:
<b>
Removable</b> (so car can be set back to factory standard for warranty work)
<b>Variable</b> - you can ususlly preset the tuning degree yourself
I used a Dragon based on cost (was cheaper than a re programmed eprom) and the fact i could reset the car to standard at any time i wanted (bleeding knuckes aside). Im not out and out plugging the Dragon here as tehre are others, and people with Vanalken(?) boxes and so on will no doubt sing their praises, this was the right product for me at the right time (and cheap).[:)]
bbrucez
My Cars:

Post by bbrucez »

This seems attractive and good after service is a bonus. I emailed Van Aaken who replied saying I should phone them. After several failed attempts I gave up and emailed them again telling them their phone seemed to be permanently engaged and they promptly ignored me! Obviously they don't want my business!
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

What are the Dragon specifications for HDi 110 (power and torgue)?
Which adjustments are possible?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Citroen Model Range Standard Dragon Standard Dragon
Left hand column is before, right hand is "after" and this is at the maximum setting point where that car can still be driven without cutting out. Variables are anywhere inbetween, i have my 90BHP Xant set to a gain of about 10BHP, it makes it much more drivable and im happy with the gain, any more would be wasted on me![:)]
BHP <font color="red">BHP </font id="red">Torque NM <font color="red">Torque NM </font id="red">Berlingo
Berlingo 2,0 HDI 90 PS 90 <font color="red">115 </font id="red">205 <font color="red">253</font id="red">

C5 2,0 HDI 90 115 205 253
C5 2,0 HDI 107 130 250 300
C5 2.0 HDI 110 136 250 290
C5 2.2 HDI 133 170 314 364
C8 2,0 HDI 107 130 270 324
C8 2,2 HDI 128 154 314 376
<b>
Xsara/Xantia</b>

Xsara 1,4 HDI 68 92 160 192
Xsara 2.0 HDI 90 <font color="red">115 </font id="red">205 <font color="red">253 </font id="red">
Xsara 2.0 HDI 109 <font color="red">139 </font id="red">250 <font color="red">300 </font id="red">
Xsara Picasso 2,0 90 <font color="red">109 </font id="red">205 <font color="red">260 </font id="red">
Xsara Picasso 2,0 109 <font color="red">132</font id="red"> 250 <font color="red">302 </font id="red">
<b>Note - many test conditions and variable factors can affect the actual figures, this data is for guidance only. </b>(Dragons words <u><i>not</i></u> mine)
<u>
<font color="purple">At the risk of sounding like an advert, please remember there are bags of other tuning devices on the market. There is currently a Citroen HDI Dragon box on ebay.co.uk for £40 GBP at present brand new from Dragon - which is where i got the data from.</font id="purple"></u>
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

135 - 140 from the HDi 110[:D][:p][:D] The V plate Xantia HDi 110 with 22k miles that is sat at the Cit dealers round the corner from me for <font color="red">FOUR</font id="red"> grand, yes FOUR!!! is looking even more attractive.....[}:)]
All I have to do is convince SWMBO that we need an HDi more than a new bathroom. Hmmm, might be a challenge![:o)]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Do what i did..... Wrote old car off to get a new one![}:)]
Didnt take much, had a small argument with metal shopping trolley park @ B & Q with Laguna did £1700 of damage (new doors you see and sill, and B post) Insurance coughed up, i laughed all the way to my Citroen dealers! (W plate 90 with 35K - £3495 FSH!)[:D]
Which dealer is this Richard.... I want to replace my ZX....[8D][:p][:D]
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

I read somewhere that in most cases black boxes would control less engine parameters than re-chip...
What do you know about this?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

In a word Bugger All! (ok that was 2 words!)
Best bet is to email Tom or Ade at Dragon (see addy in first post) and ask them. They are very good with the techno stuff.... me... I just want to plug and Goooooooooooooooooo!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Its worth the money. I was unconvinced. I bought one, then it sat in the box for 3 weeks because I decided I didn't need it in my life and I would out it back on Ebay.
marty convinced me to fit the thing after I gave up with it. I did, and the differnce is awesome, I mean, I must be the only UK Xsara driver who's car makes him smile! Speed, torque, revs, its all there, and I've done 500 miles since fitment and seen no fuel consumption difference.
Afetr this glowing testimonial, maybe I should contact Dragon and ask them to sponsor the forum!
[:)][:p]
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

So how much are you putting it on ebay for[?][?][?]
[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
Jon

Post by Jon »

If I could get the stupid plug off the commonrail pipe £150 its yours!!! ha!
bbrucez
My Cars:

Post by bbrucez »

I can't find any Dragon Boxes on Ebay - must've all gone due to this forum!
Seamster15
My Cars:

Post by Seamster15 »

I've been looking also....... perhaps Dragon would accept a group buy? generous discount please!!!!!