diagnosing knackered xantia struts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

Actually had a closer listen yesterday and the regulator is definately ticking every 10 secs or so with the suspension dropped. New accumulator and good LHM [:(]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

the fast ticking is probably due to a worn non-return valve in the regulator itself. the good news is that you can re-seat this valve yourself at no cost. To do so, remove the accumulator sphere and then remove the 10?mm bolt and the plate. the ball bearing will now probably fall out in your face but must be found. to reseat somply tap it smartly into its seat using a BRASS rod (not steel - this will put a flat on the ball) and re-assemble. A dab of grease on the ball helps hold it in position.
Usual safety warnings apply of course. On my TD BX I can do this job with the regulator in the car.
With regard to the rest of your problems let me say that I have no Xantia experience at all. What I do know is that strut friction is very important and a small amount wrecks the ride. You should be able to push the car up and down at both ends and it should move easily if everything is ok. if it won't move at all then suspect spheres, if its very stiff or jerky suspect struts. Certainly on BX the back struts seem to go on for ever so try bouncing that end first and see if it moves smoothly. The front should be much the same but doesn't move as far.
other things worth looking at are subframe mounts, tyres and pressures.
jeremy
mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

Cheers Jeremy. I'll have a look at this as soon as I get chance. Doesn't sound problematic, unless I lose the ball... Hmmmm
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If you arenot careful you will find that your eye is the perfect collection tool! Ideally some form of tray helps.
jeremy
mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

If you arenot careful you will find that your eye is the perfect collection tool! Ideally some form of tray helps.
jeremy
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ah, does the man speak from experience?
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

If its hydractive and its like the XM then have you not considered the fact that the centre sphere is isolated permanently? It could be a wiring failure going to the solenoid which switches between hard and soft.
mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

I have considered this, but the computer seems to behave itself and if I remove the appropriate fuse the ride is noticeably worse, so I don't think that's the problem.