High praise for a vibey Xantia.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

John F
My Cars:

Post by John F »

taipan, there have been several posts about vibration coming in on Xantia at about 70/80 mph and I've just noticed it on my Mk 2 '99 at 80 - seems to be coming from the NSF wheel but not certain; I wonder could it be a design or manufacturing fault? I also wonder how many others have noticed this?
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

My 1997 Xantia 1.8i 16v has a wobble/vibration between 65-75 but i cant feel it at any other speed, i have just learned not to drive at this speed and am struggling to find the cause
John F
My Cars:

Post by John F »

taipan/Mosser, is one Xantia drive shaft longer than the other & if yes, which side has the longer shaft? Could this be a factor?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Due to some tyres (including some with very well known brands attached to them) being made in places more famous for growing rice, coconuts and exotic holidays, I've found some real weird things due to tyres or more accurately the quality control in manufacture.
Shedding treads, having cords come through tread faces, problems with balance; I recently had a car that almost threw me out the window at 145KPH and it had tyres only a few months old on. It turned out that one tyre needed a heap of lead on it whist the other they had to take all the weights off to make it right. Same guy at same tyre place who did the balancing when I bought them discovered the "fault" and he couldn't explain it either!!
I also had a van that had a wheel wobble nobody could trace until it threw the cords out of the tread face but just in one spot. It then turned out that both front tyres, bought new by me and checked on several occasions by tyre "experts" didn't detect that the bloody things were out of round.
2 new tyres and the wobble's gone.
To find this you can't leave anything to chance as it could be mechanical but just as easy some weird inbred tyre defect even as much as a weak sidewall distorting at speed.
Alan S
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Fast fit tyre places use one-off balancing machines which are (relatively - 20k vs 200k for a proper one) cheap, which do need cleaning occasionally, as well as recalibrating (but never are). Having seen some of these "garage" ones in use, it's suprising how quickly they go out of calibration (try a month or so). Next time you go to one, ask them how long ago it was calibrated... never is my guess.
I had a pair of fronts on my Xantia. First balancing took about 4 30g weights. One flew off 50 yards down the road, so he had to do it again. Just a single 10g weight this time...
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Hmmm, interesting,
Do you know any places that have got these decent tyre balancing machines ?
debutant
My Cars:

Post by debutant »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mosser</i>

Hmmm, interesting,
Do you know any places that have got these decent tyre balancing machines ?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ian,
I replaced the rear (driver side) wheel with the spare one about 5 months ago (spare tyre was still brand new). Could it be that this tyre wasn't balanced? Don't worry, the now (old) spare tyre was fixed (plugged) so should be fine.
Hope it helps and that the Xantia is still going strong. But what I read on the forum it certainly does with your expertise!
Cheers,
John
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Funny you should mention that John, as i have been thinking lately that the vibration is comming from the rear drivers side wheel !!, i will get it balanced asap now!
cheers for that info John, It is doing very well, i cleaned the throttle body with brake cleaner the other day (completely dissasembled it) and it is now more powerful as well as having a smoother idle!!,
Just the exhaust manifold to sort now and it will be 100% perfect instead of the 99% that it is right now!!
debutant
My Cars:

Post by debutant »

Ian,
Not a Cit driver anymore [:(] but still looking forward to give the info I have and stuff I know!
I told you my company car was very sluggish when I got it, but that is sorted now! I had it serviced and then floored it for a couple of days. Very quick and responsive now as I would expect it to be. So I am very happy with the performance but still have to get used to the suspension. My little one decided he can live with the car as he falls asleep every time within 5 minutes when I drive off with him [:)]
Sorry everybody, not going to disclose the make of the company car as I will be back to Cit some time within the next 2 years.
Cheers and nite nite ...
John