Xantia - vibration at 70 mph

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KevMayer
My Cars:

Xantia - vibration at 70 mph

Post by KevMayer »

Just lately, when I drive almost at exactly 70 mph my Xantia vibrates. The steering wheel shakes and the whole car seems to be in resonance.
At 65 mph and below its fine. At 75 mph and above its fine (erm..so I'm told officer). just at 70 mph I get this very uncomfortable vibration.
My thoughts are.... my tyres are getting low. The balance weights may not compensate for the low tyre tread pattern ie. I suspect that as the tyre tread has got lower, the dynamics of the wheel balance has shifted (clutching at straws or what .. lol ). In fact, I've had this problem for a while, thats why I need to drive at 90 everywhere I go just to avoid it. And, as the tyres have worn a little more, the vibration has shifted slightly to just above 70 mph. This supports my theory of shifting balance with tyre wear.
I have also considered whether it could be a problem with my hydraulic pump. Similar to the pulsating brake pedal I've seen mention here.
Has anyone had the same experience ?
Should I stick to 60 ?
cheers
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Yeah mine does exactly the same, And its a right pain, Getting the wheels balanced seems to make it better for a few months but it slowly gets worse again. I to have to drive at 85 mph just for a quiet life.
I believe it might be caused by non michelin tyres that are fitted (read cheap)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Kev,
I had bad vibes on my Xantia a while back. Changing one of the cheap Tigars on the rear for the spare Michelin improved things, but changing a track rod end that had developed some play made it very smooth again. Rebuilding the rear brakes eliminated all vibrations. I think the duff track rod end was amplifying some vibrations somewhere. interestingly I have just started with some front end knocking again - which sounds to me like the other track rod end. I also noticed a bit of vibration again. However, I was following a lorry at about 10 mph uphill this morning and noticed the steering had a slight 'kick' to it. I suspect therefore that the real source of the vibration is a knackered CV joint.
Bit rambling, but check: none of the tyres is out of round, no play in the track rod ends (do this at normal height - if you put it in max, the play disappears, then check the CV joints for wear / play.