zx turn the key and nothing, and then

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

radar
My Cars:

zx turn the key and nothing, and then

Post by radar »

hi all,
been away for a while as my 1.9d 94 estate has been total reliable up till today,
after two weeks holiday and two weeks hard graft load lugging the zx decided to go dark on me this morning.
I turned the ignition on, glow plugs prewarmed then turned to start the beast and it all went blank on the dash, no lights and no cranking, the only thing illuminated was the clock.
Tried it again, and same happened, but kept the key in start position and it started and never flickered.
A few trips and stop starts during the day and everything fine
checked the obvious, battery condition ( drop test) OK, lead security to battery and starter OK
there has been no warning signs, or mechanical noise from starter or when cranking the engine spins fine with plenty off cranking.
to me theres a fault on the ignition barrel side or possible a starter relay not engergising correctly ??
as if you hot start the starter with a wire it fires OK
Am I on the right track and is there a common fault on this model ?
Is there any faulty looms I should check, and does anybody know which one is the starter relay off hand
had a quick look in haynes but its a poor affair for a diagram
going to have a prod with my test light tommorrow if the fault is still there tommorrow
thanks in advance
Radar
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

sounds like the ignition switch.
presumming it is the same as most cars,
it fits on the end of the barral.
get your test light and with the ignition on but not cranking test all the wires on the switch.
there should be one that does not light up your test light.
next you will need the car not to crank when you turn the key and test the wire that did not light up the test light while trying to crank the car.
if the test light comes on but the car does not crank it is not the switch but if the test light dose not come on then you will need a new ignition switch.
hope this helps
mikeg
My Cars:

Post by mikeg »

Two or three sharp short taps to the end of the starter motor via a bit of 2x2 and a hammer temporarily sorted my similar problem on my BX 1.7td. If I'd tried that in the first place, it would have saved me a lot of time and effort trying other things. A replacement starter is my next job.
Best of luck.
Mike