Stuck Fast Idle Lever(Xantia)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CommY
My Cars:

Stuck Fast Idle Lever(Xantia)

Post by CommY »

Hi
New to this forum as I am to Xantia's. Good forum, alot more members than my usual car forum (Alfa Sud). Well impressed with build quality and comfort of the Xantia.
Anyway the problem is the fast idle lever on the injection pump itself is stuck. I had to lever it heavily with a screw driver to lower the revs from 1100 to 750 (where it runs sweet as a nut). Don't know how it will behave cold though, the morning will tell.
Any ideas as to why the lever is sooooo stiff, there were definate 'clickey stages' 3 or 4 as I moved it to lower the revs. Can this be replaced easily? Has someone overtightened the nut holding the arm in place?
Heeeeeeeelp!!
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Mmmmm, this may be a different problem and not a stuck lever. When cold the engine idle speed is raised until warm then a vacuum control allows the idle lever to return to 'normal'. Also the idle speed is raised if you have air con and it's switched on.
However, and there is always a however!! It is not uncommon for the idle speed control valve associated with either the cold idle or the air con to fail and this will leave the engine running at around 1000 rpm. Also failed or perished vacuum pipes will give the same result. Forcing the idle lever against this control will strain the cable and damage the valve.
You need to get a haynes manual to check this out.
Search on this forum, top right corner, for idle speed issues too. Welcome to our world, Robin
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

Robin thank you for your prompt reply but I understand the functioning of the vacuum system and associated actuators etc. it is the lever itself on the injection pump that is seized. This is not a problem with any of the components that trigger the lever it is the lever itself, it has seized in both directions. When I forced the lever to drop the revs the cable was disconnected. I had already trawled idle related problems on the forum to no avail this seems to be a unique one. Really I was asking for input from anyone who had experience of stripping down/repairing/servicing the fast idle lever on the pump.
As a side point where are the components for the plip locking/alarm on the car? Is there a relay or similar for it in the dashboard fuse board as there is a large block of connector pins on the bottom right of the fuse board that is empty in my car that once had something connected to it (the pins show wear marks from having a component connected at some point). The alarm triggers when the battery is re-connected but the remote central locking is deeed. Have tried a working sensor in the roof but this failed to work as well, I tried the one turn on the ignition and top button on the plip held for ten seconds but no joy. It's a P reg with the semi ECU TD engine.
I'm well chuffed with it I paid £320 from an auction it's done 170k with full main dealer service history to 140k that were covered in the first three years so all motorway miles. The seats are like new and it drives like new. It's a bit black smokey (not hugely 3.79% before any treatment) when you rev it hard I have added injector cleaner and am giving it some high rev running and it has improved matters but maybe the injectors need replacing. Maybe when I change the cam belt having the timing spot on will help also.
After Alfa Romeo and Ford build quality this is a new world, my Dad runs a 1.7TD BX which has always impressed with it's engineering which is why I went for the Xantia. The XUD engine is sooooooooooooo refined. It's the Alfa Sud (Blueprinted, lairy cams etc 1.7 16v Alfa 33 Boxer 170bhp engine in an 800kg car NICE!!) for the twisties and the Xantia for town and motorway. The Xantia rolls far less than the BX, the handling is far far superior but not even on the same planet, no same universe as the Alfa but still acceptably sure-footed and precise. Though undoubtedly nippier than the Xantia I couldn't live with the roll in corners of the BX, bloody dangerous and they put 150bhp engines in them MADNESS.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Sorry, but I can't help with the pump strip down. Maybe someone else here can. Certainly the forum is very active and wonderful aource of information and help.
The alarm control unit is under the passenger seat and a frequent cause of problems is the failure of the sensors in the doors. Easily replaced, Citroen units only here though, but a pig to trace if you didn't know about them and the symptoms. I guess it may just be worth looking at the box under the seat and seeing if the plug has been pulled to stop the false triggering which the faulty sensors cause.
Not sure about the connections for the fuse box - anyone else help?
Re the Alfa, my plaything is a sedate but fun Porsche 924, used for therapy purposes only.
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

Thanks, any idea how to get the bloody box from under the seat as there has been a wire disconnected. Obviously if I remove the seat access will be no problem but can it be removed with the seat in place.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

When I first tried to alter the idle speed setting on my Bosch pump, I found that the Haynes BOL showed the lever to be the wrong way around. The screws were in reverse. i.e. the front screw to adjust the lever travel endstop did not do what the manual said. At first I thought my lever was stuck. But, on closer inspection, I decided the manual was telling me the wrong info.
So, are you sure the lever was stuck ?
By the way, my idle speed vacuum advance diaphragm has spit and I'm stuck at 1000 rpm. It only happened quite recently. I'll haveto fit a new unit. GSF should have one ?
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

I don't think you can get the box out without removing the seat, I couldn't. It's not too bad a job really and allows you to put all the carpet and trim back properly. (and clean all the rubbish out from the seat edges[^]) R
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Reluctance of the fast idle lever to move could be as a result of internal rusting of the roller ring or piston, or break up of components giving rise to debris, broken plunger return springs are just about this pumps only weakness, it would not be wise to try and sort its internal problems (if any) yourself.
Dave
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

Cheers chaps, the idle seems OK even when cold, slightly lumpy for about thirty seconds, I might have to knock it up a notch come the really cold weather though.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

The lumpy idle may be a sign that one or more heater plugs are on the way out! They stay on for a while after engine start to keep smoke and roughness to a minimum. Just another thing to consider! R.