New driver.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Thanks for the kind offer. I remember that the Justy was a hoot to drive but once a woman's mind is made up, it is a point of policy with me not to waste my time trying to change it!
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Dan
Citroen Visa GTi 1.6 115bhp, group 8
Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6 115bhp, group 14
same engine etc, guess lack of visa's on the road and less stolen etc meant it had a lower group
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Both cases are obvious. Kids can't afford C2s and wouldn't be seen dead in Visas.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

lol. with the stupid finance deals available these days and finance most people could buy a c2 but in the long term it would cost you tons
and as for your visa comment yes they are ugly but a cars performance comes before its looks for me. Thats not relevant for late teens though as they just want to look good to their friends and hence why they buy all these tiny engined cars and then yob them up more
Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

Agreed, and anyone who still lives at home, and has any semi decent paying job can make the repayments with no problems.
Personally I like the Visa, particuarly the styling of the quad light Gti, not saying it's beautiful, but I do think it looks handsome, and quite purposeful.
What stumps me, is this obsession with Vauxhall Corsas, WTF is it about them?
And why is there so little, if any, imagination in buying cars these days (sounding old now), it seems to be you own a hot hatch - Saxo/*cough*Corsa, and then you aspire to a Subaru - and that's it.
Sheep mentality I put it down to.
*Apologies for going WAY off topic [:I]
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

as new tiny cars go the corsa is quite nice, especially when compared to 206's and puntos etc which are just so cheap inside its a joke. All of them are due to free years insurance and finance deals I would have thought.
I am thinking about a impreza as my next car but only because its the easiest to find and cheapest that meets my desired requirenemts which are japanese, turbo, rear or 4wd :) Older celica gt4's are also a possibility
and to remain off topic, heres my visa before I took it to bits to rebuild, yes its ugly but i like it and the fact it has 220bhp/ton compared to the 145 of my zx 16v makes it even better :p http://www.visagti.com/pics/sprint/Svi_0035b.jpg
Seamster15
My Cars:

Post by Seamster15 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by VisaGTi16v</i>

as new tiny cars go the corsa is quite nice, especially when compared to 206's and puntos etc which are just so cheap inside its a joke. All of them are due to free years insurance and finance deals I would have thought.
I am thinking about a impreza as my next car but only because its the easiest to find and cheapest that meets my desired requirenemts which are japanese, turbo, rear or 4wd :) Older celica gt4's are also a possibility
and to remain off topic, heres my visa before I took it to bits to rebuild, yes its ugly but i like it and the fact it has 220bhp/ton compared to the 145 of my zx 16v makes it even better :p http://www.visagti.com/pics/sprint/Svi_0035b.jpg
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It reminds me of a very unhappy French man!!!! such a moody looking car!
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

yes people must get a shock when I used to take it out testing on a sunday and suddenly appear in their mirrors.
back to cheap cars, there are so many choices now as that end of the market is swamped. Ax would be good, 205, mk2 fiestas anything really. Im looking for a dirt cheap car to share with a friend to do production car trials over the winter so we just want something with 5 months mot and it doesnt matter on condition as they are in fields/woods so will get battered. Top of the list so far, skoda favorit 1.3 heh!, they sell on ebay for about £20 if anything, yes twenty! One on there at the moment thats been relisted as no one bought it for £19, it has 6 months mot, new tyres, recent service etc, hysterical and just what we want. If it breaks, scrap it, lost £10 each big deal :)
Not sort of car a young driver wants to be seen in though unless they already have no friends and have no desire to find new ones
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Daniel B</i>

I would have to say, that personally I believe the insurance group difference to be more to do with a slight difference in engine size and power there!
And to be pedantic (who me?) the AX weighs around 780KG, and the BX weighs about 1080KG.
To further discredit wildy ridiculous, pick a number out of thin air, insurance grouping:
Citroen Saxo VTS - 120BHP - Insurance group 14
Citroen C2 VTS - 125BHP - Insurance Group 8
Cheers
Dan
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes I would ban those two cars as well.
Big cars 'require' big engines or nobody would buy them.
If you were to stand at the side of a motorway and observe who was in the cars as they drive pass you would see almost every car, big or small, with one person in it. To drag around that extra weight because you want to or prefer it is harmful to the environment.
The insurance group ratings for an AX start at 3 and for a BX start at 5. I know there is not much difference but there is not that much difference between those two cars in size and weight. That's just an example I chose and you are right I should have chosen like for like.
I dont have any stats but the insurance group ratings do suggest we would all be safer if IG 3 Citroen AXs were compulsory rather than IG 5 BXs. Thats not on crash protection but on performance as the boy racers who like to drive fast will drive the BX faster and put others at more risk.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NiSk</i>

The AX was denounced as the worst car you could possibly have an accident in by the Swedish insurance company Folksam - <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I suspect they never came across my first car then - a Reliant 3 wheeler. Even an AX would come off best if it ran into one of those.
As for the claptrap about cars killing the planet, it's rubbish. We produce more CO2 from central heating systems in the UK. And your gas fired boiler doesn't have the benefit of a catalytic converter (come to think of it, nor did most AXs).
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

lol im never going near one of them! I went to the stock cars the other night and they had reliant robin racing, about 15 of them! Rolling so much it was hysterical with the entire bodies literally just falling off!
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NiSk</i>

The AX was denounced as the worst car you could possibly have an accident in by the Swedish insurance company Folksam <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
As far as I recall, the Citroen 2CV and the Fiat Panda have traditionally shared this dubious distinction. The 2CV had no crumple zone, so you (and the metal dashboard) copped the full impact of any collision. With the Panda, however, the whole car was a crumple zone........ [xx(]
Mind you, the Fiat Cinquecento did rather spectacularly in the European crash tests. Motoring Which? said it was the worst crash test they'd ever seen. The pics are out there on the Web somewhere, but if I recall correctly, a frontal impact brought the roof straight off, and it came down onto the driver's bonce. [:(]
I bought both our girls Peugeot 205s. Nice cars, both of them, rustproof and reliable. But probably getting a bit long in the tooth nowadays.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

And I thought the Mini-Metro held that dubious title . . .
//NiSk
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Actually, 2cv's are rather better than you may imagine in a crash, they just *feel* flimsy, the strong suspension and chassis absorbs the energy beneath the car rather than folding up. I'd rather have a crash in a 2cv than most lightweight modern cars.
Have a look at this link:
http://www.cats-citroen.net/citroen_2cv ... htest.html
I crashed my Dyane into a Rover once (the sort that is almost identical to a Honda Ballade?). The Rover was wrecked, and the Dyane only sustained minimal damage.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

After watching the film sequence of the 7.5 ton truck (on the CATS website), I'd be very greatful that it wasn't one of them!
//NiSk