LEAKS!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

espzetec

LEAKS!

Post by espzetec »

ok i have some oil under my car. The clutch gear box has some oil on it, but i think its coming from higher up. probably where the sump meets the engine block. but again it looks slightly higher than this too. what else can it be. its not the head gaskget as i know thatsnear the top og then engine? the car is due an oil change so should i just take the sump off and give the seal a clean and silcone it back on?
i cleaned the bottom of the car to try and see where its coming from.
It seems to be dripping down from the gearbox, but i think its is slowly trickling down to this point?
Upon further inspectioni think i have an LHM leak too? its cominfrom the accumulator area. I am about to change the accumulator as its now ticking about twice every second. do i need to replace the pipes when i do this of can i just tighten them up?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Best way to pinpoint an oil leak is a good engine clean.
the next couple of days will then show the oil traces.
Common problem is the valve cover gasket.
The sump gasket commonly start to leak after some 4-7 years - if it is a gasket. May simply be a compound on your engine.
Same goes in the pressure regulator (PR) area : clean with engine cleaner to pinpoint the leak. Pipe unions are not intended to be torqued down, as they compress a rubber seal, which is responsible for a leakproof connection.
Tightening further the unions may damage the seal.
Try with a standard open ended ringspanner on the union nut, normal handforce should do it.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I'd go with that. The very best early warning system for leaks is a thorough steam clean. This leaves nothing to doubt. The biggest advantage is when you come to work on the car. Your hands don't slip off the spanners so you don't get hurt. The time saved more than covers the cost of the clean.
espzetec

Post by espzetec »

can i not just jet wash the underside of the engine? saying that i noticed on the bell housing there is a hole, as if one of the little square bits has been chopped out. i take it that this is normal?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

LHM leaves a very distictive green mark on a newspaper left under the front. Engine oil is dark brown (very dark if its due for a change) and gearbox oil has a very distinct smell (check out a bottle - you can't miss it).
//NiSk
espzetec

Post by espzetec »

well the lhm is definately there. but also another leak. its really black. so definately oil. change a gaskget sump or what guys?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Valve cover gasket??
//NiSk
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

Oil is sneaky. It runs like, well, oil.
I suspected a buddy's crankshaft seal on an XUD9-equiped Peugeot.
Oh dear. £££££
However, it was indeed a leak from the valve cover gasket, with the oil running down the block.
rg
espzetec

Post by espzetec »

upon further inspection it seems to be coming from a section just behind the accumulator. its gathering on a lip on the engine block. any idea what im looking at? if its expensive to fix can i simply leave it and keep topping up the oil level everyso often. its not that bad. for instance if left over night there is an oil mark abotu the size of a 50p on the floor when i move away. will it passs an MOT like this?
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

espzetec, My Xabtia and my old Bx both had oil leaks, Dont worry or panic, Have you recently topped up your oil? if you have it may just be overspray that missed the filler cap.
If its only a drip, a MOT inspector will ignor it, and dont forget, where the oil lands, will be rust proofed too
Paul
espzetec

Post by espzetec »

its not where its "over sprayed" as you put it. its leaking. like i said its the area directly behind the accumulator and teh oil catches on the lip on the engine block where it builds up. any ideas guys?