ZX Volcane rear suspension - more advice please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

manolito

Post by manolito »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jimbolaya</i>

Maybe you should try and make sure it comes off a matching model
( i.e. take it off one yourself ,or watch the salvage boys take it off for for a small fee into their stella fund!)
good luck , mines alot better now , maybe i got a volcane one ?
I dunno, but its not as bad as you think[:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
of the 3 i got quoted yesterday, all turned out to have drums on the back so aren't volcane. one guy says he has another with discs which is £120+vat, but can't tell me the year/mileage of the car. he's up in manchester, i'm in london so no chance of checking it out.
are volcane's the only ZX with discs all round (except 16v)? i think i'll have to take a chance as i found a place who said they'd fit it in 2 hrs for £38/hr.
I'll call that Cit-Ren lot in Norwich as well....
fordsone27n
My Cars:

Post by fordsone27n »

Repalacing the bearing is the easy bit, they are only about 40 quid for a complete set from the dealer. The difficulty comes in that unless the problem is picked up really early the rusty bearings graunch there way into the radius arm pivot. This wrecks the bearing surface and needs repairing either by replacement (expensive) or by building up and remachining. In really bad cases the whole lot eventually wears the axle cross tube. New needle rollers wont last 5 minutes in this situation because they are only thin wall, and need the support of the tube, which obviously won't be there if it is at all worn oval. When this happened on my 205, I made greaseable phospor bronze bushes, which I am lead to believe is what early models had anyway!. I've done a few of these now, and I'd say that replacing the whole axle would be the cheaper and more sucessful option unless can do the work yourself or have a top mechanic who will tackle the work in a logical and engineering manner.
I hope this gives an insght into this suspension problem
Adrian
manolito

Post by manolito »

All sorted. Got an axle assembly from Cit-Ren (£75 + £35 del + vat) and a man to fit it for (hopefully) about £80.
Ta for all the advice on this. Much appreciated.