BX flow distributor valve rebuild

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jonathan_dyane

BX flow distributor valve rebuild

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Hi guys, the FDV on my BX seems to be on the way out, and before I sideswipe something on a corner I want to rebuild it ;-)
I have the rebuild kit, and a s/h valve to rebuild in my leisure, can someone who has done the job before give me a few hints and tips?
Cheers.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

hi Jonathan -
done 2 of these - but quite some time ago I admit -
My worst part was to get the end caps (6 ea) out - those secured with a small circlip. The circlips were no problem to remove, but then the caps stuck because of rust.
I then found copious amount of rust-loosener - and light tapping with the weight of a large drill did the trick.
The caps are pressurised by the valve piston springs, so will pop out once they are free to move.
Above all you MUST be very careful how every bit fits and is oriented.
The rest is meticolous cleaning (in petrol) and then greasing up with clean LHM.
The 2 micro cup filters are located deep down 2 of the pipe bores - should be hex insert threaded bushings to screw out. Again take care with all the bits.
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Cheers Anders, now I have an idea on how to approach it!
I intend to have a shot at it tomorrow, will report back with results. First stage will be siphoning petrol out of the fathers Dyane..
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Does a Dyane contain enough petrol to accomplish this? Wouldn't you be better off squeezing the cotton wool out of his Zippo?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Tom ! [8D]
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

The zippo is the fall back plan for if the thimble sized tank of the 435cc Dyane is not large enough...
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Well guess what? I buggered it up. Oh joy.
It was going reasonably well, but my mistake was to drive out the bottom right end cap with a metallic rod; I must have spoilt the inner surface because when I came to refit the lower piston it was *tight*. The most sickening thing was, the s/h FDV I attempted to overhall was nice and clean inside, and I think it would have worked fine!
So my choices are:
1) Put my hand in my pocket and spend £85 +vat on a new FDV, or,
2) Buy another repair kit and attempt to rebuild the FDV off the car and if I fail have wasted another 30-odd quid and have an imobile car, or,
3) Buy a s/h valve, fit it and hope it is better than mine.
Any ideas?
Also, perhaps someone could confirm my diagmosis of a faulty FDV? The car, since I got it in Easter, has had poor brakes, which need a harder push than normal. Calipers are good and new discs and pads made little difference. Also, the steering has always been heavier than other BX's I have driven, and now it is starting to lose assistance on some corners, and sometimes having a 'sticky' feel. Generally the hydraulics on the car seem fit however, it does not drop too quickly, and goes up nicely, which I feel rules out the brake valve and pump.
Comments?
Cheers,
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Maybe this reply would be better placed elsewhere but....I'll put it here anyway. In about May this yearI fitted a secondhand FDV from an 87/88 BX 19RD into a petrol BX estate. This was done without any recon, to replace the original, copiously leaking FDV, and get the car back on the road.
So far.... so good. The steering remains very light. I could be very lucky, though it is possible that the good state of the hydraulics otherwise have allowed me to get away with gunged-up or even missing filters.......