Why I hate the Xsara Mk2

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

On the subject of Xsara bumpers then, do the black inserts come out? can they be purchased seperatly? Some d**k head has scraped the near side one this morning. I've had a look to night and it looks like they just pop 'n' push out. Any ideas.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Ok. I can't be doing 850 miles a week in a CX GTi, much as I love them, especially the Turbo2 (fastest thing I have ever been in (loose) control of!)
Judging by the amount of smoke that this Xsara produces, it still needs more driving and thrashing, it must be coked up. My Berlingo HDi with the same engine (but Siemens system not Bosch) evokes the days of the good old BX GTi 8v on the rare occasions that I drive it. That car wants to be driven and is a rev hungry beast that loves life! Mind you, its ass has been kicked since day 1. Xsara was owned by gentleman of 78 who looked after it, did no miles, but probably never ever saw full throttle. I will get it to my way of thinking soon.
Also, it does handle. I was wrong. It is actually SO grippy on those 195/55/15 Michelin Primacy's that its hard work to unstick front OR back a la ZX. I found that approaching a bend and un-sticking it first by steering the wrong way then over correcting, then the traditional ZX handling traits can be envoked. Although not really so much enjoyed.
But hey, its safe.[:)]
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Ok. I can't be doing 850 miles a week in a CX GTi, much as I love them, especially the Turbo2 (fastest thing I have ever been in (loose) control of!)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yeah I agree, given the milage you do it's probably prefable to have 2 of them. I suggest a CX2500 deisel turbo and a machonics CX2500 GTi Turbo II [:D]
seeya,
Shane L.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Jon, Do you recomend the berlingo then ?
I have liked them since they came out, sort of like a mini MPV thats not trying to be anything its not!!! Haven't had a go in the HDI yet though.[:)]
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

looking out for a MkII Xsara VTR soon, quite fancy one, or failing that a HDI... but the 5 door looks really dull. I've also never seen a mark II in any colour but silver!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Yeah, funny that, I have a Mk2 Xsara. Silver.
Berlingo is really good vehicle, nice to drive, really roomy and practical. Theres a few of us on here now with Blingos, HDi is the engine of choice, the 19D is worse on fuel and tedious on m-way inclines. Mind you I've driven a 1.6 16v and that felt rapid, we prefer diesels here though.
Simon H
My Cars:

Post by Simon H »

To add my ha'pennys worth: I think the Xsara is an OK car, certainly more refined than the ZX but missing a bit of the ZX sparkle. In other words there are better cars out there. To be honest I think the current Citroen line-up is lacklustre, perhaps the new C4 will change this, I do not think any of the models produce a 'wow - I must have one' effect. The C2 is too small, the C3 too mushy (I have driven one), the Xsara a bit bland (my mum has one) and yes the headlights do look wrong, the Berlingo is good and the C5 is good. Citroen must be aware of all this as the current promotions all focus upon what good value the cars are rather than how good the cars actually are. For the money I would be looking at a Toyota Yaris D4-D instead of a C2, a Hyundai Getz for the C3, a Fiat Stilo for the Xsara. My ZX is 8 years old and will eventually need replacing, as things stand I sadly would not consider any of the current Citroen models.
Simon H
ZX1.4i Elation
MZTS250/1
Suzuki Bandit600S
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

True, the C5 isn't good looking and has had some suspension troubles, but I LOVE IT. I couldn't think of a car, even for twice the price that I would rather drive.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Jon - persevere with it...
My ZX TD (shed) is truly awful to drive with more rattles and groans than you coud shake a tishy stick at, it does all my M way miles and is frighteningly reliable, but despite ££££££££££ being thrown at the car still feels wallowly under cornering and braking is marginal to say the least (just passed MOT and had full overhaul of brakes, still bloody carp)
On the other hand the 90bhp HDi Xantia (ok hydro susp i know) is like a dream.....It was good to start with then...
I fitted the dragon tuning box (£149 off eBay), fidly owing to the location of the pump sensor and my big gynaecologist like hands, but its brilliant. I left it set @ 15 to 20 % gain, and the car is just faaaaaaaaantastic. there is excellent acceleration accross the range, no flat spots / turbo lag (which there were prior to fitting), and i find it plenty fast enough thanks very much. The car has done 38000 and is nicely loosened up now.
Give it a chance! The engine WILL get better as it gets run in. Obvioulsy i cant comment on the roadholding, but you did say you wanted something safe (something which preys on my mind every time i get into the ZX and i look at the big lump of round plastic sans airbag).
BTW, my xant (remember heavier car than yours, same engine) will pull my 1300kg caravan very nicely at 75 - 80 (shhhh!) and there is still room to accelerate in 5th... it WILL improve like a fine wine!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Marty
The common rail pressure sensor is the red one on the bottom of the common rail, yes? How did you get it off? I tried today but even with the oil breather hose out of the way I just could not do any more then get my fingers round it, never mind unclip it. Clip bit is at the back of it on my car and access is well tight.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Just in case anyone isnt following the other thread... heres one i made earlier with a few pics!
Good Luck Jon.[:D]
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=8891