Xantia TD - Air in fuel lines...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

philhoward

Xantia TD - Air in fuel lines...

Post by philhoward »

Right then, here we go...
My Xantia has always suffered (well since a fortnight after I got it) with the "pump the priming bulb" syndrome in the mornings due to an air leak. I've put a bit of clear pipe after the priming bulb, and it's aways full of fuel (no rush of bubbles when priming). New pipes are:
Filter top to pump
Priming bulb to filter.
Which other ones could it be? There's no signs of fluid leakage, and the leak-off pipes look new (i.e. they're actually flexible), as does the return pipe. The filter top is flat and (appears to be) sealed ok.
HELP!!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The roto pump itself ? [8)]
Leaks in the diesel fuel systems are often very hard to trace, as the leak tends to be at some elevated point, and then the fuel seeps back down into the pipes running low under the car.
Unless the leak is exactly in these pipes - you'll never see a wet leak anywhere, as the gravity of the fuel makes for vacuum.
Common problem areas are :
1) any rubber tubing (gets crisp over the years)
2) the priming bulb itself
3) the filter body
4) any preheater device (cracks)
5) bad (or missing) hose clamps. Often hose clamps are too large, not clamping properly the hose. Best way is to have a rubber collar under the clamp.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Try by-passing the filter/preheater and priming bulb for a short while and see if it improves (put a temporary fuel line filter in instead for safety's sake). It will take a while to suck up the fuel ths first time, but it will!
//NiSk
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Just fixed the same on my ZX, turned out to be the end piece on the injector leak off pipe, a tiny split, it took an inch of rubber pipe with a self tapper in one end! its merely a question of finding it.
Stewart