Citroen AX brake drums

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stiaas
My Cars:

Citroen AX brake drums

Post by Stiaas »

Hi I wondered if anyone knew how to change the handbrakewire to an Cotroen AX, I can't get the brake drum of!
lease help me!
Stian Aassved
Nroway
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Isn't the usual little hole in the back plate there? If so try and get a small screw driver in and release the brakes off. It sounds like the drums have a lip in side of them and the brake shoes are up against the lip. Could try slakening the handbrake cable off.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Jack up rear of car and support on axle stands.
The hub is held on by a 32mm nut, which is staked into a groove on the sub axle.
Use a punch/screwdriver to drive the metal from the nut out of the groove, then, using a long bar and socket, undo the hub nut (careful not to pull the car off its axle stands).
Once off, the drum should pull free (make sure you've not got the handbrake on!). If the drum is very worn, it will be catching on the brake shoes. So stick a screw driver through one of the small holes in the front of the drum and try to contract the shoes by pushing the adjuster inside.
Once the drum is off, you'll see that the handbrake cable is attached to one of the brake shoes and can be released.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Close but no cigar on my behalf. Sorry miss information. I'm humbled.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Hey, I might have to eat dirt too Stuart - my only knowledge is of Xsaras and 205s. I'm just guessing the AX is the same...
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Ah, now I was just going by my mates old (now departed) Talbot samba. Any how between us there should be enough info to give a good idea of what to do. My Citroen knowledg is Xsara's, ZX and saxo with pug 205 for good measure.
rubjonny
My Cars:

Post by rubjonny »

You are correct there is a hole in the back of the drum to release the shoes, but I didn't try to take the nut off when its up on axle stands. I jacked the car up and removed the wheel and dustcap, then put the wheel back on and cracked the nut whilst it was sat on the wheels. Don't take it all the way off mind, just enough so you can remove it easily when you put it on stands.
I had a real job getting the drum off the drivers side, took about an hour of bashing, pushing, pulling and swearing but eventually it came off! If I were you I'd do all the brake shoes and the wheel cylinders at the same time, it isn't a job you want to have to do twice :)