Xantia Radio Code - silly question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

harryb.48
My Cars:

Xantia Radio Code - silly question

Post by harryb.48 »

I may have to replace my battery soon and it occurred to me that ,in order to keep a voltage at the radio as I do not have the radio code,would it be possible to connect my charger to the battery leads to cheat the system ,or is that a SILLY QUESTION[:I]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

You can now buy a small battery (9v) device that fits in to the cigarette lighter socket on any car that is for this exact purpose. Don't know about the cost but I belive it'd not too much. Any how your local Citroen dealer will be able to supply the code for your radio. Just go along with proof of ownership, log book etc and he will by using the vin number be able to pull up the radio code. This goes on the vehicle has the original radio fitted. No cost. Had the code for my 98 Xsara this way only a few months ago. I phoned them first to let them know I was comming. No problems. Sorry as for the battey charger, they use a trickle charge not the full 12 volts in one go or so I believe so you can't use it to keep the codes.
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

you really shouldnt connect a charger to a car that doesnt have a battery in the circuit as chargers dont give out a smooth voltage, its got ripples and spikes in that could damage your engine management or other sensitive electronic bits,
Far better to get some jump leads and jump another battery across the existing one whilst you change it,
Failing that, as long as you can prove ownership to a dealer, they should be able to provide the radio code to you for free
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

I will visit my local dealer before changing the battery,I thought there was a good reason NOT to use the charger - now I know !
Thanx again.[:)]
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Try http://radiocode.proboards6.com/index.cgi
Do a search at the top of the page for Xantia radio code,under member Rivendell.He got his code through this forum.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Harry
You need a PP3 battery and a cigar lighter plug. As Mosser says - do <b>not</b> use a charger - they can give anything up to 20 volts of unsmoothed DC off-load - the smaller the charger, the higher the voltage. Goodbye to any electronic devices on car [:(]
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

Thanks to all replies,it looks like an either/or situation and I will decide on course of action(cheapest ,no doubt!) when I get round to changing that battery - it`s just keeping me going at the moment but won`t last much longer[:(]