"RP" numbers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Thanks for that Richard. It's always a fascinating topic knowing how they keep track of vehicles particularly when you consider that the BX alone had 2.5 million cars sold with a variety of nodels and variants.
As regards the paint number, I can speak with a certain amount of authority on this due to me having to get some paint for my Xantia recently and discovering that it was mixed using a two pack base coat and is unavailable in acrylic in the case of my colour.
It seems as you say, the first three letters are the colour code, but the ones after that (sometimes not in capitals) denote the "variant" of the colour......now after passing on that little gem of knowledge, I hope nobody asks what or why you'd have a 'varient' in the mix of a paint colour!! Possibly different manufacturer or slight variance in the mix??
As they say; Oh for the simple life.
Alan S [;)][8]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

The last two letters of the paint code do indeed denote the paint manufacturer [:)]
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Does anybody know if Peugeot use/have used a similar scheme to Citroens RP number? My 306 does infact have a build number which is 4 numbers, but punching it into the RP calculators it doesnt tally...!
Would have thought so seeing as they are the same company (PSA).
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Thanks to everyone for their help & humour.Checked out the link VLL.Started 2/6/96.That will explain why theres a mix of P & R reg Xantias with/without the painted bumpers & door strips.I expect the unpainted cars were built early like mine,& maybe not sold,hence it was 1st reg nov 97.From what i`ve seen,mine appeers to be 1 of the last unpainted cars,hence the logbook says its an Athena,but the car is a badged VSX.The Exclusive was out by then.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by np</i>

the logbook says its an Athena,but the car is a badged VSX.The Exclusive was out by then.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That could just be a good old fashioned cockup by the DVLA, mine was on the logbook as a 1.9SD although its actually a 1.9TD. I know someone who had a Ford Transit that was on the logbook as a Cortina Estate! These things do happen...
Nick
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Before i got the car,i done some checking on it.The last of the old VSX mk 1 cars like mine were fully loaded with all the toys,hence the elc sunroof AND a/c c/control.They were sold as Athena ltd editions, registerd as Athena`s,but badged as VSX`s.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by np</i>

Before i got the car,i done some checking on it.The last of the old VSX mk 1 cars like mine were fully loaded with all the toys,hence the elc sunroof AND a/c c/control.They were sold as Athena ltd editions, registerd as Athena`s,but badged as VSX`s.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ah, I didn't realise that.
Mine was certainly wrong though. It was very easy to get changed, I just rang the DVLA and told them what model it actually is and they changed it over the phone - very open to possible abuse however!
Apparently it happens quite often, selecting the model requires them to scroll down a long list of possible versions on the DVLA computer and click on the right one. I got the distinct impression that if the operator was bored or hurried they'd just click on any version on the list that looked half right [:D] That seems to be what happened with mine.
Nick
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I was worried when i looked at the car & the logbook model didn`t match the car badge.I went & got all the buying guides etc...
It was in Parkers Price Guide.It lists all the models from launch-end,with all the dates,specs,equipment,changes etc.Thats where i got the info from.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

We had a good one over here a few years back.
The importer brought in a pile of cars and stored them. As we have to have our cars "complianced" and they can't be complianced until they are fitted with seatbelts, he didn't fit seatbelts until the car was either sold or was going onto his showroom, as a result, some '79 models ended up as '81's
Alan S