Immobiliser wiring

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

phil02

Immobiliser wiring

Post by phil02 »

Ye saga continueth...
Whilst tinkering inside the car replacing bulbs, fuses etc., a black cut-off wire dropped down in the fuse box - on the end is an LED and it's zip-tied to a cut-off red wire and a green one that is still attached to a loose relay that may or may not be part of the car's standard wiring.
I pulled it out and I am guessing it was part of the DIY retro-fit alarm system the car appeared to have had at some point in its life, as I've also removed a siren and several bits of orphaned wire from under the bonnet in the past.
Now, this got me thinking as someone here suggested my intermittent starting problem (turning the key sometimes results in a solenoid click and nothing else) may be down to a past or current engine immobiliser getting in the way.
I don't, however, know if the alarm was accompanied by an immobilisor and if so whether it's still present.
So, my question is, what does an immobilisor unit look like and where am I likely to find it?
We have managed to trace the problem to the ignition switch wiring somewhere so it'd be nice if this was the cause! The red cut-off wire disappears into the innards of the dashboard and I've yet to find out what it is attached to, but it won't come out with a gentle tug, suggesting that perhaps there is still something in there!
Also, if I temporairly disconnect this mystery relay (it's blue and next to the fusebox if this helps!) in a spirit of investigation, will it harm anything?
Not much of a genius with electrics so any help appreciated!
Cheers
Phil
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

Phil
I'm not to familiar with AX wiring system, but can give you a few pointers that may help.
If the led had wire tails attached it was most probably sited somewhere on the dash or adjacent to the tax disc holder for visual status for the alarm.
If the red or green wire found, appeared about 4-10 inches long -- single core, this could have been the onboard receiver ariel, --quite small in gauge. So you might be getting close to its location..But on some early types, the relays were contained in the actual sounder.
Sounds like it could be an old original Citroen/ Harry Moss type.
Ageing alarm systems develop faults with intermittent immobiliser relays. There have been are so many different types fitted its a job sometimes to obtain circuit diagrams, so I now fit hidden jump connectors to the starter solenoid supply, for an emergency supply when crank immobilisers get temperamental.
I don't know if your alarm is operational ?? Presume not??
Usually remote main control boxes are placed, either inside steering column ,or around glove box area so to make it reasonable difficult for the opportunist to gain access and bypass the system But seeing you've found surplus under bonnet wiring, I would go for main controller fitted inside sounder.
After diving in your electrical system, you will no doubt realise how easy it is to bypass these older units. Far better to have a system linked into doors and movement sensors.
Have a look at the outward supplies from the ignition switch. You may find one or two cables have been cut and spliced, (possibly ?? white or red,) Good installation, wires have been soldered, DIY -- cables connectors or scotch locks fitted.
The attached cables could be black?? where the supplies have been interrupted and routed via the alarm control/relay box
If it's a single or dual channel system ?? engine crank and/or main ignition supply. Trace these cables back and you can usually identify both ends of the original wiring.
If you suspect it could be the alarm system giving you problems, temporary bridge across re-routed pairs to see if this makes any improvement.
With the relay found, with LED attached, Just remove it and see what happens. Should make no difference if you've removed the remains. Should have worked -- alarm actuated -- relay energised and supply/s interrupted.
Best of luck you may need it LOL. Did one the other day found the main control box under the passengers seat.
I use a cable tone tracer to identify appox position. Saves stripping out dashboards.
R
Peter