C5 as a taxi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Calum
My Cars:

C5 as a taxi

Post by Calum »

Hi
I am about to replace trusty xantia 1.9td sx with a C5 2.0HDi Vtr Estate to use as a taxi. Xantia never had any problems apart from usual sphere changes and was going grand until 106 side swiped it. Is there anything i should be aware of with the C5 and how easy is it to DIY service? I do 50K miles pa and only changed the xantia's oil every 12k with millers oil (millers recommended 15k after sampling oil, best money saving move i've done in a while) never had any problems and always returned 45mpg.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I've often fancied one as a future replacement for my 2.1 Xantia but I've been a bit concerned about reports that they are not too DIY-friendly. Checkout the difficulty of replacing the particle filter and the fluid.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

2.0HDi doesn't have a particle filter and fluid so that doesn't matter.
Changing the oil is no different to anything else, but I think if the suspension throws a wobbler its back to your friendly Citroen dealer. Like most modern cars theres very few bits to change on a service - oil/filter and cabin filter every 12,500/12 months (the cabin filters are charcoal and about £30 a pop from Citroen) then on a diesel just the oil filter every 3 yrs and LDS every 5yrs or 100k. Cambelts are reccomended every 100k.
I've only ever seen 2 C5 cabs in England, but they're used extensively in Spain and I rode in a couple that had done more than 250,000km whilst on holiday there last year.
Calum
My Cars:

Post by Calum »

Thanks for that I looked at all the alternatives but i don't think anything compares to the PSA diesels unless you go to merc or bmw and thier service costs are frightening
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by blueboy2001</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
So which C5's do have filter and fluid. Maybe those will be the ones to steer clear of!!
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnD</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by blueboy2001</i>

So which C5's do have filter and fluid. Maybe those will be the ones to steer clear of!!
Only the 2.2 has a filter. The 2.0 on the 307 and the 407 have filters.
None of the UK C5's have particle filters on 2.0 models. The HDI 2.0 110 is also better round town due to more torque lower down than the 2.2.
Drive one and enjoy!
If you have been changing your own oil on the Xantia, you won't have any problem on the C5. I'd use 5W40 fully synth oil (I can't find 5W30 fully synth) as you get better protection for start stop driving and a slight increase in economy.
bbrucez
My Cars:

Post by bbrucez »

My DIY servicing has so far just been oil + filter on my 2.2 HDi. I also use 5W40 fully synth bought in France.
Am not looking forward to doing the other bits so any tips would be useful.
BTW the front pads are original at 50k but seem to have worn quite a groove in the discs so I may have to replace both at considerable expense.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bbrucez</i>

front pads are original at 50k but seem to have worn quite a groove in the discs
Somethings got to wear - either pads or discs. At 50K you've done extremely well. On my Xantia, I did new pads at 30 and 60K, and new discs at 60K also.
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

Try Paul Johnson at "Citroen Centre" in Oxford. You may find him under www.xm-centre.com.
He is now heavily into the used C5 and can advise on the DIY side.
Give me a mention! Rob with the 2.5 XM from up north!
rg
bbrucez
My Cars:

Post by bbrucez »

Thanks chaps.
I'll contact Paul soon.
Yes, 50k is good for 1 set of pads despite being 50% motorway.
However, I expected the discs to last longer than 1 set!
I love my C5 now that the rogue Immobiliser Fault message seems to have stopped (fingers crossed).
I imagine I'll get a genuine particle filter message soon (had a few rogues in the past along with coolant, washer fluid & servicing)
Nick-a

Post by Nick-a »

Hi I am new to this forum but when i saw someone going to use a c5 as a taxi I just had to jump in.And say STOP. Think very carefully I bought a C5 2001 2.2 hdi sx estate exactly one year ago .Ihave done about 45k i would have done more if it hadnt been in the dealers ,the warranty was good while it lasted ,apparently it cost citroen over 5 grand . I can list parts at some time if anyone cares.today £357.09 to replace rear suspension bush[:(].but why did it have to go on the lexia machine?
Nick-a

Post by Nick-a »

forgot to say we are using c5's as taxis ,your customers will think they are spacious and comfortable ,with the 2.0 hdi I hope you will get better consumption than the 35.7 mpg i get (driving quickly)with the 2.2hdi.
my model extras which are multiplexed (should be perplexed as half the time it does not know what its doing) dipping headlamps seems to take an hour, cruise control great if it works, most things work again after an ignition restart(reboot).Servicing ok do not buy genuine parts as non-gen often oe parts. do not fit extreme condition air filter (with extra filter layer) -mpg.
ps if you buy one you wire the meter pulse into one of the two white wires ,found behind the pull out section in the glove-box.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

C5 seems to me a bad choice for a taxi. Still, there are few good options, considering the extra-electronics cars do have today. When driving hard and daily there's always something giving trouble from time to time.
For taxi use, many people prefer to buy an older model in good condition, which is easy to maintain and has much less complications.
IMHO, an old Xantia (2.1td or 2.0hdi, from 1998-2001) is a cheaper and better option than the C5.
Good luck!