Xantia 1.9TD Sx Cooking oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rpaco
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9TD Sx Cooking oil

Post by rpaco »

Sorry if youv'e covered this before but I can't find a search facility for the forum.
I am considering converting my Xantia 1.9TD to run on cooking oil. There is a kit which has a separate tank, fuel heater and changeover valve. Has anyone done this? and would they recommend it or not?
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

Sorry everyone I have found the search facility.
I will shut up and read the results now
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

google search on vegoil will reveal all, my buddy did a diy one, heated line and tank(jerrycan with copper coil in it) electic switchover( lpg suppliers), most of it was common stuff, they run well enough, consider the dead hand of the revenue before embarking.
Stewart
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Check gav425 - posts here and has been running on cooking oil. Also link to www.bio-power.co.uk
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Hello,
If you want to use veg-oil have a good read of the web site in my signature, I have been using it for many miles now. The only problem i have had is you do need to change your fuel filter more often, best to carry a spare and make sure your glow plugs and cam belt are in good condition. As long as you have a bosch fuel pump you should be ok.
Start off with a mix of 50/50 veg with diesel and move up the amount of veg each time you refill, when you hit a starting problem just add more diesel then you know your mix limit.
I have a bosch pump and have been using 100% Bio-fuel, this is waste veg oil and they add an organic solvent to thin it out. The car starts fine as long as the fuel filter is in good condition. I've used it through the winter with 100%, it get a bit gumpy on starting and the revs hunt for a while but after a short idle i just drive off. The xantia has a heated fuel filter so the sooner your off and running the coolant starts to heat the filter housing and warms the bio-fuel, this helps to thin even more.
If you have any more questions just ask and i will try to help.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

If you are running brand new veggie oil, in an old-tech IDI d / td, then you don't need any of this rubbish. Just stick it in the tank and drive ( making sure to pay the duty to customs and excise )
If you are talking getting your oil from the local chippy, then you need to filter it, and convert it to bio-diesel using variousl formula available.
Read "Journey to forever".
Regards
Mat
wiggybum
My Cars:

Post by wiggybum »

Goto
www.dieselveg.com
I've covered 3000 miles in my 406 1.9td (Bosch Pump) running on pure rape oil from Lidl.
What you need to do is shell out £400 on a proper kit that allows you to run on pure diesel until the engine is hot. Then it's fine to run on the oil (46p/l).
The switch over valve has an electric heater fitted and the system comes with a fuel heater heated from the engine coolant.
Save loads (but make sure you register with Customs & Excise).
Takes a weekend to fit.
Runs sweet as a nut.
Sounds quieter too.
Tom