Xantia cooling ventilators berserk

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Szegedi
My Cars:

Xantia cooling ventilators berserk

Post by Szegedi »

Cooling vents on my Xantia behaves very strange indeed. BTW Xantia 1.9 TD with AC. After they stopped working one day and I have had almost boiled the enginge, I have tried to find some answers on Net. On one Thai site I have found pretty through explanation of how the radiator ventilators should work. There it was stipulated that two ventilators should work together in two modes: slow with AC on and fast when thermo switch takes over. My problem was that they didn't turn at all. Ok I have replaced two same relays located beetween the fans and for a few days everything was ok. Then I have noticed that engine is heating more then usual. When I have checked only one of vents was spinning like mad and the other stood still. In slow mode they were both spinning. Ok I have changed third relay which controls first two, I think, and for one day it have worked. Then same vent stopped working. Strange thing is that when I heve turned of the engine then second vent started spinning together with the first one, until the engine was cooled enough. Anybody has a clue?
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

I think the problem may be with the thermo switches controlling when the fans, ventilators you are calling them, should switch on.
The fans operate with the air conditioneing switched on in low speed independantly of the engine temperature.
The thermo switch overides this control and will bring them both on at either low or high speed according to engine temperature. They will then run for a while after the engine is switched off if needed. Relays are possibly OK, it is the engine thermo switch that may be at fault. Robin
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

With A/C the fans are controlled by the bitron unit. If A/C is on, it switches both fans either to slow speed or fast depending on the engine temperature. With A/C off, both fans will be off normally, but will be switched to slow speed or fast speed depending on engine temperature.
If only one of the fans is operating, it is most likely a problem with the fan motor. See elsewhere on this forum for more helpful information - try this topic:
Xantia 1.9TD cooling fans not working - HELP!!!!
And there are lots more!
Szegedi
My Cars:

Post by Szegedi »

Thanks for your reply but if the fan is faulty than I suppose it would not work at any gear.
I have made some research and I think that I now understand problem little better. First I was in error thinking that "high gear" works. That was still the low one. When fans should switch to high gear only one fan does the second stand still regardles weather AC is switched on or not.
As I understand the schematics from 306 Peugeot site, in high gear voltage on fans is deleivered paralel or separately on each fan, so I will have to check again if there is a voltage on the working fan or not. It seems to me that the possible culprit is reley but it is a new one. Also at the Peugeot schematic I can see another fuse on the second circuit which is in operation at high gear. I could not find it at Xantia fuse box? The other possible culprit is dreadful one to find - bad contact somewhere. As for thermo switch, I think that when you take off the wire from it the fans should immidiately go in high gear - doesn't happen in my case. Any other ideas?
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Sorry Szegedi - not listening properly. For slow speed, LH relay operates, fans in series fed from one of the cooling fan fuses. For fast speed, the other two relays operate; right side fan is fed 12v through the same fuse, left side fan is fed 12v through a different fuse. If that other fuse is blown, fans would behave exactly as you describe. The fuses are NOT inside the car, they might be fuses E & F in the fusebox under the bonnet beside the battery - but that's only if I'm reading the diagram right at 10:30 and a few glasses down....[:D][:D]
Szegedi
My Cars:

Post by Szegedi »

I agree, but two fuses under the bonet are: one 40 A, and the other is only 5 A. And they are both ok I am afraid. However a friend of mine who understand electronics much better then me, looked at the diagram and told me good news bad news story. Good news is that because one of fan is operating then the bitronics is ok. That leaves me with the bad news - time consuming search for a bad connection.