Fuel pump doesn't seem to be working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

billy_bob

Fuel pump doesn't seem to be working

Post by billy_bob »

Hi All,
Just finished the cylinder head refit (ZX 1.9d) and feeling very pleased with myself ... but wait, what's this ... it won't start!!! [:(]
It seems to turn over easily so I began trouble shooting.
I primed the system and loosened off the fuel injector pipes to bleed the pipes and then hand-cranked the crank pulley. No fuel came out so I checked some parts of the fuel system: filter full to the brim; (bleed?) valve above fuel inlet of fuel pump let out a little air and then steady flow of diesel. The (overflow?) pipes between the injectors leaked a little fuel when unplugged from each injector.
Tried starting again. Still no firing. Checked the same points again and the same things happened.
I undid the union of one of the fuel injector pipes at the fuel pump end and assumed that fuel would pump out from this point but nothing seems to happen? Why would this be the case? Surely fuel should squirt from each of the four fuel pump outlets when the crank is turned a revoloution or two (I tried several).
Any suggestions or help welcomed.
HELP ME AGAIN!!!
billy_bob

Post by billy_bob »

To clarify:
When bleeding the fuel injector pipes - by loosening the union nuts at the cylinder head end of the injector pipes and turning the crank, whilst leaving the ignition switched on - fuel does not leak from the loosened union joints, as I think it should.
Can anyone suggest why this is (or isn't) happening, please?
Thanks, bb
billy_bob

Post by billy_bob »

Doh ... I feel not just a little bit silly [:I][:I].
After much scouring of previous posts I saw something that might help out anyone who encounters the same problem whilst bleeding the non-turbo ZX.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=1205
Switch on the ignition <b>and enter the keypad code <i>too</i></b>!!!
It just started ... hmmm, warm feeling inside [8D]
debutant
My Cars:

Post by debutant »

LOL ... nice one mate [:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)]
Good to hear you did a great job though!
J