Xsara VTS - Squigy engine mount bush?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LeFrog
My Cars:

Xsara VTS - Squigy engine mount bush?

Post by LeFrog »

Introducing myself as the proud owner of a 2000 Very Green 1.8 16v VTS that has done 45,000KM. I used to own a 1997 Pug 306XSI, so the Citroen feels very familiar.
Sadly, I've a niggle or two:
Soft engine mounts - When I back off the accelerator sharply, I get a sudden jerk. A garage checked out my mounts and said the bushes were soft, but not broken. Any one have any knowledge of the bushes and how replacing them may fix my problem. I'm thinking that a replacement of the lower one only will fix it.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Never heard of bushes being too soft. Have replaced those that have become hard and brittle. However, an old ZX TD of mine did have an engine mounting where the mounting hole throught the centre of the rubber had become oval. I know that they are not too expensive through GSF[:D] so maybe worth you and a friend just double checking for yourselves.[8D]
LeFrog
My Cars:

Post by LeFrog »

Spoke to Citroen today to get a price on a bottom engine mount bush. He found it very hard to believe it would need replacing, given the car is only 4 years old and has only done 30,000 miles.
So....I'm left with that obvious question, what could possibly cause that excessive jerk (jolt?) when you lift off the throttle completely and abrubtly? It only happens when the engine is under load (not when stationary) and is OK if you lift off really gently or depress the clucth.
The garage I went to had it up on the hoist and did a bit of heel-toeing to simulate it, and you could really see the engine move. But, this may be normal? Could there be an engine related problem that is misleading me into thinking it's a mount problem? It's as if the throttle is being snapped shut and the engine is suddenly deprived of fuel/air.
Tnanks for the help.
LeFrog
My Cars:

Post by LeFrog »

Original poster here.
I've looked at the mounts so much I'm dreaming about them. I'm quite sure that they are OK. I disconnected the idle control motor and whilst the revs were all over the place, the jerking went. In fact, deceleration was brilliant. This has me convinced that it's an engine problem and not a mount problem.
I presume one of the sensors/motors or something are playing up. Any suggests on methodical diagnosis. As an aside, when I disconnect various things on the thottle body, the ECU light doesn't light up.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Thats about right.m On my 1.6 VTR it's the same. I had a problem with high revving, went through all the sensors one by one the dash light didn't come on once. I found that on the 1.6 it was an idel control valve. About sensors I found that this company came in cheapest for parts. All you need is the part number and they can quote over the phone.
www.autoteknik.co.uk