Xantia Air Con

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Pete,
To clean out the condensor you normally need to loosen the radiator to be able to see between the radiator and the condensor and then blow either compressed air or a HP water cleaner between the two to blow any leaves and dust out.
As regards running the air/con with the recirculate rather than the fresh air intake, you'll find that particularly in cases of BX air/con, that where I am with high humidity, the cooling coil (evaporator) will ice up with a couple of minutes due to our high humidity and you will immediately lose temperature. In any case, if you use recycle, you are only reducing the heat load within the cabin whereas fresh air at ambient temp will have the system trying to not only recool the air within the cab but also trying to reduce ambient temperature air as it enters and you are effectively increasing the load, which increases the power required to run the air/con with a resultant loss in fuel consumption not to mention efficiency of the air conditioning. In simple terms; recirculate will operate more efficiently.
Hope you can make sense of all that. [:p][:p]
Alan S
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I can confirm this. Following my own regas last week, the BX aircon system is the best I've ever come across. Placed on recirculate, it does, indeed, mist up the windscreen on the outside.
Running it at half power, the car cools down in about a mile!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

I can confirm this. Following my own regas last week, the BX aircon system is the best I've ever come across. Placed on recirculate, it does, indeed, mist up the windscreen on the outside.
Running it at half power, the car cools down in about a mile!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
...........and I can confirm that it is very embarrassing to be driving on a hot Tropical Summers day with the air/con on and the windscreen fogged up on the <b>outside!!</b> and the wipers unable to shift it because they are frosted to the bloody windscreen.
Alan S [:D][:D][:D][:D]
Grab

Post by Grab »

Just got back from the garage.....
Apparently the shafts on teh compressor are leaking as in the condensor. When the system was repressurised it highlighted all the leaks, been quoted £800. However if I diy he'll regas foc.
How difficult will it be? Anyone got advice?
pete.fair

Post by pete.fair »

Cheers for that Alans, but have you every taken the temp of the air coming out the vent, would you feel 7 degrees is satifatory.
Thanks