Xantia Air Con

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Grab

Xantia Air Con

Post by Grab »

Had my 1.9td aircon recharged today...Wish I hadn't bothered. Everything makes the right noises but it's not cooling. Listing to it theres a regular hiss hiss as though it's releaseing pressure. Any ideas? would it be something I can sort at home without takinh bak to the garage. Any help would be appreciated
Paul
Grab

Post by Grab »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Grab</i>

Had my 1.9td aircon recharged today...Wish I hadn't bothered. Everything makes the right noises but it's not cooling. Listing to it theres a regular hiss hiss as though it's releaseing pressure. Any ideas? would it be something I can sort at home without takinh bak to the garage. Any help would be appreciated
Paul
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Next time I post I should read it prior to posting[:I]
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Was it ok before the regas??No hiss etc...Are the fans running?
I`d take it back to the garage for them to fix.Sounds like a leak,not something diy really though.
Grab

Post by Grab »

Yeah, it was working. But the "spy class" was showing it was milky, so I persumed it needed a recharge.
Paulxmski
My Cars:

Post by Paulxmski »

Hi,
The hissing maybe caused by the system working and getting cold but it may not be transferring the cold into the car. I have noticed with my XM that the pipes in the engine bay are frosted lovely and white when the temp is set to say 18 degrees C, but there is very little cool air coming out of the air vents in the car. I'm not altogether sure about the total cycle of the system but I believe there is a desiccant which must also be in good condition to give effective cooling
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Dont know about the hissing,but is the cabin filter ok?Thought my a/c was getting tired,but changed the filter & it made a hell of a difference.The old one looked ok,but the new one REALLY made it colder.I change it every 5k when i service it.
Paulxmski
My Cars:

Post by Paulxmski »

For an excellent resume of air conditioning including facts on efficiency of Xantia and XM visit: http://pepon1.free.fr/CITROEN%20XM_fich ... eset-9.htm
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

The hissing is probably the valve and if it comes and goes, then it should be doing this. Try removing the cabin filter and also ensure that the various controls on the heater send air where they should. If the evaporator is covered in mud and dust, it won't work well. You should also check that the condenser is clear of leaves, old carrier bags etc and that when a/c is selected the engine fans operate.
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

I guess this may be a stupid question - but where is the cabin filter? As far as I know mine has never been replaced and after 7 years perhaps it's time I did something about it.
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

I'd just written a reply but when I tried to send it, the internet connection had gone so I lost it! [:(][V][B)][:(!]
Anyway, the pollen filter should be beneath the dash in front of the passenger seat. 3 torx screws hold on the carpet beneath that part of the dash. Once removed and the carpet pulled back, there should be a circular bulge representing the fan motor housing. Adjacent to that, a rectangular piece that is held on by 2 or 3 torx screws. Removing that rectangular "lid" will give you the rectangular pollen filter pushed up into the space there.
Should be a nice deep black, smell funny and mayhap even have a few trolls kipping down on it after so many years of service. [:D]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JamesQB</i>
[ Adjacent to that, a rectangular piece that is held on by 2 or 3 torx screws. Removing that rectangular "lid" will give you the rectangular pollen filter pushed up into the space there.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
My lid is held by plastic lugs. Slide to the right to remove. Use any force and you snap off the lugs.
Grab

Post by Grab »

Any ideas what the mechanic could have done to cause the system to cool less than it did before he regassed it. the car is also now juddering when driving with the aircon on, that cant be right can it?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

If the juddering is coming from too high a load on the air/con compressor, it means it's either got too much gas in the system, he's managed to get air in the system and so the compressor is pumping too high a head pressure or he's managed to get the system contaminated with moisture and this is causing wild fluctuations in pressures at the compressor.
You should be able to tell if the compressor is overworking by reason of the loss of power when the compressor turns on. When running correctly, not much difference in power is felt.
Alan S
Grab

Post by Grab »

Cheers for that
Paul
pete.fair

Post by pete.fair »

I had my air con recharged about two months ago and it goes down to 7 degrees at the face vent though rises to about 9 - 10 in town at slow speed. Though I have not checked the filter how do you clean the (condenser?) in front of the filter. Seems to work better with the vent slide to re-cycled on a really hot day. Has anyone else ever measured the temp of the air coming out the vents
Cheers