LHM

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wrinklet1
My Cars:

LHM

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi all, question, My Xantia td is working fine, BUT,it is loosing LHM fluid and I don't know where too. No puddle on the floor, and no visible leaks around pipes or suspension parts. Looses about 1/2 L a month.I have had lots of experience on Citroen hydraulics but this has got me puzzled. Any ideas?
Regards
Paul.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

it could be going into the gaiters on the rack or the rear struts
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

had a look and the gaiters look okay, nothing abnormal there
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Kleptomaniac Vulcans then.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

2 types of LHM drinkers :
1) disc brake pads, as they wear the caliper pistons moves out.
2) spheres running flat, as the gas disappears the cavity is replaced by LHM.
Before topping up again :
try set the car in low, then release the system pressure.
If the reservoir now seems overfilled, then you have a couple of weak spheres.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I may well try dropping the car to the floor and checking the fluid, it may well be the problem, although the ride is good and soft.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

wont the fluid still look the same even if the fluid is replacing the gas in the sphere? wont it stay in the sphere?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Only if the spheres are completely flat, no remaining pressure exists to press back the LHM to reservoir. Even the slightest (1-2 bar) pressure would press back the LHM.
This can only happen when suspension is set to lowest, as then the HC's are forced open between suspension cylinders/spheres - and the reservoir.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Ahhhh.
I do seem to have a small amount of lhm fluid on top of the reservoir, not sure if its because of overflow or because the filler cap is tight fitting and seems to pop up
Paul
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Update, LHM on top of reservior just leaking out from return pipe seal, no problem.
Replaced 4 spheres, accumalator sphere replaced 10 months ago.
Drained and cleaned the reservior,Drained the yellowy LHM and refilled with Hydroflush, bled the brakes. did Citaerobics.
Car now running fine (Touch wood), doesn't drop to the floor as quick, ticking about every 20 seconds, Feels a lot taughter too.
Will update.
Paul
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

UPDATE,
The car is running more smoothly with hydroflush in its system. Its been in for nearly two weeks and no sign of brake pedal judder and the levels are staying as they should.
Paul
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Seems the hydraflush have solved your problem. If you're still losing LHM/Hydraflush, it could be a leaking brake valve as it leaks inside the cabin, right under the brake pedal onto the drivers floor. The foam on the floor will soak up more than 1 liter of LHM, mine did. The leaked LHM will eventually drip out through the floor as something like thick grease. Lift up your carpet to see if the foam is wet with oil. If it is, try soaking up the LHM with newspapers and cloth.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Had that problem with a BX - in the end it was the overwhelming smell of LHM in the cabin that gave it away - had a hell of a job getting the old carpet out without drenching myself and the rest of the car in LITRES of LHM!
//NiSk
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Oh yes, the dead giveaway is the smell of LHM, altho I didn't realise it at first. The carpet also kept slipping from under my heel, 2nd clue. The rubber carpet is history once soaked in LHM/oil, it curls up and no amount of washing will restore it. Yup, shared your experience, Nisk.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Happy news, the carpets are dry and no smell of LHM
Paul