Xantia Hydraulic fluid overfill

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

harryb.48
My Cars:

Xantia Hydraulic fluid overfill

Post by harryb.48 »

Having just cured my low-speeed rattle by replacing the drop-links,I now want to change the accumulator sphere but so far too rainy outside.However,since my last post, (Pulsing pedal) ,which seems to have generated much discussion I have checked the hydraulic fluid level and it is way too high - I can withdraw the plunger about 5-6 cm with car at highest level before it reads normal.(I just bought the car,a `96 (N) estate and I`m finding out the hard way all the ins and outs of the suspension etc) [:I]Question : how best to drain off some fluid?[:I]
Also I`ve just been reading about this model not sinking ,well mine does - it goes up and down at every start/stop,the front is worse and seems to have a permanently slightly-raised nose .Remember -the two front spheres have been changed by the dealer .I didn`t really notice anything when I first got it as I thought this was all normal[:I]
Anders ,the words lemon or dud do keep springing to mind despite the drive still being very good,or it could be the mechanics just didn`t know what they were doing! I think I need some assistance in working it all out!
Please help![:I]
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

My estate always sank at the back,never rode level.With the van on the back it was down on the back.Never thought anymore of it till the ride was getting harder and the back was sinking more and more till the mud flaps were rubing the ground and the car was undriverable.Took it to a independent who renewed rear height corrector ant accumalator sphere.Was like a new car.Sat level all around,with the caravan on the back it was level as well.Although it sinks/settles by about 1 inch when parked.Though that appeers to be normal looking at 1 of todays posts.
I found the best way to drain a bit LHM was to sypone(spelling?)a bit out with a bit of clear pipe.
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

If you want to remove LHM from the resovoir, the best way is to go down to tesco's and buy a value chicken baster for £1.50, they have a huge rubber bulb on the top and can suck quite a lot out on each squeeze of the bulb
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Why didn`t i think of that when i did mine?!?!
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

That tip would have saved me a lot of grief......A litre of LHM on the block paving doesn't go down well with wifey...[V]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Harry -
It does not mean anything with too much LHM in the reservoir - other than the risc of messy spilling.
A couple of good tests to check the suspension :
1) Do the Citaerobics to get rid of any air in the suspension.
2) Test the suspension in fact is soft, by jerking down each corner of car, when car is in normal height.
3) The following should be done at front and rear, just over the (thought) axles.
With engine running, handbrakes on, car on level ground in normal height, record the actual height of car from some convenient reference point.
Set the car to LOWEST height and record the actual height of car from same reference point.
Set the car to HIGHEST height, and record the height from same reference point.
4) The recorded normal height should be exactly midpoint between recorded HIGH and LOW.
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

Thanks so far everyone!Funny but I am going to my new tesco superstore tomorrow and will look out for the chicken baster(value of course!)
I will also do the citaerobics etc. but after I get round to changing that acc.sphere ie if it`s not raining.
Please excuse my ignorance Anders,but will any of these actions cure the rise and fall when starting/stopping or do I have to consider a faulty anti-sink sphere or height corrector?
Just thinking aloud!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Nope [:)]
- still think the acc sphere is first try.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Harry
To add to what Anders says, height correctors rarely fail on any model - thousands must get changed just because they need cleaning internally, an easy job. We are talking about garages here, though [:(][}:)]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Strangely the 'anti-sink'sphere has no influence on the car dropping when not running. The sphere is simply there to provide a back up of pressurised LHM when the car is driven off and before the pump has fully charged the system. The valve does conrol the dropping.
jeremy