The BX aircon saga: part XXV11

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Yep, that's about the way to do it. Our country is sinking under the weight of dumped fridges!
There's one in every skip.
BTW, for the benefit of those members not raised in Britain, The surreal asides concerning ice dragons comes from children's television from 40 years ago.
The BBC has refused to rerun "The Sagas of Noggin The Nog" because "It would only be watched by a few bearded weirdos in their forties and fifties." More anti Citroenist prejudice! Soup dragons of course are more recent.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

I used to like Muffin the Mule[:D] when I were young but I suspect it's illegal now[}:)]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

When you were young. Wow! that is some memory you have there. Come to think of it Bernie you do exhibit a more than passing resemblance to Thor Nogson!
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

This should be the answer from Noggin himself
http://www.smallfilms.co.uk/noggin/noggin.wav
[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
Paulxmski
My Cars:

Post by Paulxmski »

I have a catalogue of the new Eurocar a/c kit. £850 just for the analyser something like £3500 for the full gear!!!! I suppose it would be ok for vanman starting a small business and that's who there targetting it seems.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Paulxmski</i>

I have a catalogue of the new Eurocar a/c kit. £850 just for the analyser something like £3500 for the full gear!!!! I suppose it would be ok for vanman starting a small business and that's who there targetting it seems.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Makes the quote I had many moons ago pretty close to the mark.
Alan S
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

And just to confound us all further, The system has been working just fine for the last 24 hours!
If it hadn't been for this site and the kindness of its members, I wouldn't have attempted any of this so Thanks again for keeping me out of mischief!
For the benefit of others
I have written an account of fitting the a/c system to the BX. A site has been prepared for the upload and I'll enlist the help of a friend to do the donkey work of getting it proof read and up onto the net. I would like to link to the forum postings regarding the conversion (Which are manifold and go back some time) if this is ok with web administrators as there have been many useful bits of advice and considerable technical support information for those interested in the subject.
Right, That's it. I'll wait for the gas to evaporate for a (hopefully long)while and hand over to Bernie whose car is now tested for leaks and ready for gas in a couple of days time.
Good luck mate; you have my number if you need it.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Tom,
A word to the wise.
If it was freezing intermittently, then chances are that you have moisture in the system. The fact that it has now started operating correctly could be a sign that the moisture has found its way into the oil in the sump and settled on the bottom.
The trick now is to hope that it can be fed out gently and trapped in the dryer so I'd suggest that you try not to operate the thermo/stat/mister at too low a temperature as overfreezing seems to lower backpressures and allows the moisture a chance to again start circulating with teh oil vapour and often causes the moisture to freeze up & therefore block the oriface of the T/X.
As they say "gently Bently" (Now I'm showing MY age!!
Alan S
[|)]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Thank you Alan. That's encouraging: I had wondered my way to the same conclusion. I suppose that means I should buy a lottery ticket!
Paulxmski
My Cars:

Post by Paulxmski »

I had another look at the the cat for a/c there is a test kit at circa £2550, the standard service kit is £3899 and the pro service kit is £5899
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

So I'll have to do some plumbing then! I am seriously inclined to have a go at making a charging rig for the fun of doing it. Having looked at one, it seems to be standard parts and some electronics. Bet it could be done for £1500 but you can't buy experience. The motivation may tail off though as it appears that the system in my car (Hereafter to be referred to as "Grolliffe",) is entirely satisfactory- HOORAY!!!