AX Coolant

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

foxyfoster

AX Coolant

Post by foxyfoster »

Just recently bought a 2nd hand Citroen AX DEBUT 1993 954cc 1 litre and have done all the service such as oil and air filter but i also changed the coolant and since doing so the temperature light comes on after a few minutes. I used 25% coolant and 75% water is this right?? Also have a cable with a green plug with 2 wires attched any ideas where this might go?? We can't see any obvious places and I have no manual or guide - desperately need help my 1st car!! Many thanks!
phil02

Post by phil02 »

Oooh, so I'm not the only one!
Not sure about the coolant but check the level regularly and look for leaks as they are somewhat prone to small amounts of coolant loss. If it's highish mileage, you might want to check that the radiator is still ok - mine was totally sludged up at 103,000 miles and fitting a new one caused the original water pump to start leaking from the shock of all that extra water it suddenly had to work with, causing coolant loss and overheating. Unlikely to be your problem, but a thought.
You might have disturbed a sensor when you changed it, check everything's plugged in/attached ok.
The cable isn't mentioned in the handbook but if it's behind a headlight, I know the one you mean. This is for connecting a fault reader which can read error codes off the ECU if you have a problem. They are left loose otherwise.
Keep an eye on ebay as I've seen AX handbooks come up now and again for reasonable prices. I hear that Citroen can be helpful with owner's manuals as well if you email customer services from the website http://www.citroen.co.uk
Hope this helps.
Phil
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Could be that the new coolant has pushed the old thermostat over the edge. In which case just replace the stat. Had a BMW once had the same problem, stat changed all OK.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

After your coolant change, did you bleed all the air from the system?
phil02

Post by phil02 »

foxyfoster

Post by foxyfoster »

Thanks for that - worth picking it up for a couple of quid!! Got the problem sorted out after john's message - needed bleeding - silly mistake but the poor car pulled through!! Thanks again. Caz
foxyfoster

Post by foxyfoster »

Well what can i say - you hit the nail on the head!!! That was the problem - feel a bit silly but its those kind of mistakes that cause problems!! Any way thanks for writing the message, Caz