That Xsara again. AC question.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ItDontGo
My Cars:

That Xsara again. AC question.

Post by ItDontGo »

If anybody has read any of my previous posts they may just remember that I have never been a fan of my mum's 1.4 Xsara.
At the moment I have deemed the air-con malfunctioning but it may just be that, like a lot of things on this car, its just crap. Is it a poor system on the Xsara? I see that the pipes aren't lagged and when you touch that cold ones they are quite cold but not freezing - like a can of coke. Should the cooling fans come on all the time as I dont think they are. Other than that would a re-gas really make a lot of difference? When the compressor clicks in it does slow the engine quite a bit.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Don't take this the wrong way but wouldn't it be easier just to get a car that you could get on with? I said it before this cars got your number marked, it's possesed. Trade in time, no?
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Its my mother's car and she likes it. Maybe I just dont like its ugly face or something. They should have left it the way it was before they meddled with it - I used to think Xsaras looked quite nice.
Is the air-con on a Xsara good or does it sound like I have a problem.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I had a Xsara in June for a few days while mine was being fixed.1.4 forte W reg.After my Xantia it was disapointing in all ways,but better than walking.The weather was very hot at the time & it had A/C C/control.It worked a treat.Nice & cool.It too slowed the engine a bit.Dont know about the pipes and fans.
When i got my Xantia,the A/C was not to good.Had a regas and new dryer bottle.£140 all in.Made a vast improvement.Still nice and cool now 2 yrs later.They said every 2-3 years for a regas,though every other regas for the dryer bottle.A regas is about £70.If the car is more than 3 yrs old,i expect it could do with a regas.Depends on how much the A/C is used.It should also be used for 10mins a week all year just to keep the system lubricated.
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Thanks. I wonder why you dont have to regas your fridge and freezer every 3 years?
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I think it because the a/c draws the moisture out of the air.Hence when its raining,and your windows mist up,if you put the a/c on it clears very quickly.That moisture has got to go somewhere,hence the need for regasing.
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

The car air-con is an almost sealed system and therefore does not draw in much moisture. The incoming air is cooled on the evaporator, under the LHS dashbord, and as cold air can contain less moisture than warm air any water in the air 'falls out'. This 'dry' air is warmed in winter and circulated into the cabin where it 'grabs' moisture and therefore demists the windows.
The main loss of refrigerent in a car air-con system is the seal on the compressor drive shaft. In a domestic fridge the electric motor and compressor are one hermetically sealed unit and the gas cannot get out unless there is a leak.
Richard
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

You learn something new every day on this forum!
Hence the droplets under the car from the drain tube when a/c running?