Accelerator Cable snaps

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Andy
My Cars:

Accelerator Cable snaps

Post by Andy »

Why does my cable keep snapping, always at the joint of the plastic clip on the pedal. Its as if it has been cut off, a clean snapin the cable.
Any suggestions appreciated..
Andy
IanR
My Cars:

Post by IanR »

If the pedal is adjusted too high, use of a heavy foot will put tremendous strain on the cable.
On most models, the adjustment is at the carb/injection end, and is by repositioning the cable-outer in its notched clamp. You want it to reach full throttle just as the pedal grounds.
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

Andy
My BX 16V kept doing this - the white plastic clip is junk (and mine were all genuine Citroen kits at £25 a throw!!). My throttle body is a little stiffer than it should be, but it lasted 2 years on the original clip since I bought the car and then decided to snap it as soon as it was replaced, and yes having the cable too short can cause this symptom as when you put your foot hard down you'll bottom out the throttle body before the pedal hits the floor. The new inner cable needs to be cut to the length of the old one (assuming it was routed correctly) or routed then gradually cut down until it's just got enough slack in it.
It took me 3 weeks to sort out and I ended up getting a replacement inner cable made up by Spot On Control Cables, based in Wokingham. They fitted a 'ball and socket' arrangement to the end of the cable and no repeat so far! Cost was £20 for complete new inner incl postage. Their details are at:
http://www.racecar.co.uk/spot-on/index1.htm
E-mail me if you want a picture of the arrangement.
Adrian