Xantia in the opposite garden

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sheldon6

Xantia in the opposite garden

Post by sheldon6 »

Hi i looked out of my window today only to find that my 98td lx est was sitting nicely in the garden opposite mine and across the road, i know i should have ideally left it in gear but it convienient for me to start the car in the mornings without getting in. I handbrake failure common to these cars. Another thing i have noticed that at 132k with full dealer history, that the suspension is very bouncy uncomfortably so any help on either of this issues will be great if not keep an eye on ebay mine will be the crimson red facelift model. great forum but am on the verge of switching to vovo.
mark<font color="red"></font id="red">
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Mark, ooops[:I]
Handbrake failure is not one I have heard of on the Xantia, two individual cables to the front wheels but from a single compensator linkage so if one cable fails then the other can become slack. Re the suspension, at 132k and 1998 I would go for a full set of spheres regardless and all should be well unless the history shows replacement in last 18 months. However there are a couple of issues and suggest you have look at the topic 'Bouncy Bouncy' for a few ideas.
Keep the Xantia Mark and avoid the others. I love mine and have 120k on it, all driven by me too. Robin
sheldon6

Post by sheldon6 »

robin,
thanks for the advice, i have just braved the rain to do as suggested in bouncy bouncy, i have the following to report:
the suspencion goes up and down no problems, however when returned to the original position the front is rock hard with no give at all, the back goes down with my weight.
how do you check the lhm as i have noticed of late that there is a funny hydraulic noice when tapping the brake pedal although they seem to work.
the little orange pointer in the sight glass does not move at all but there are no warning lites to indicate any problems
mark
cheesey

Post by cheesey »

Hi,
It's happened to me as well. Since the handbrake acts on the front disc. Trouble can happen when the handbrakes applied to a hot disc that has expanded due to the heat of braking.
if you don't click the lever up a bit more, when the disc cools and srinks well, run away car.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I can clearly remember when the Xantia first came out,this problem was on BBC`s Watchdog program.Though the problem was sorted by Citroen.Some mornings,when i get in my car & sit down,it creeps forward about an inch.Depends how hard i pull up the handbrake.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

As with any car that has a handbrake that works on the discs instead of drums, always LEAVE IT IN GEAR!
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The parking brake should be adjusted so that it is positively applied on cold brakes at the first notch of the ratchet.
Before the modification this first notch was actually the nineth, the first eight have been removed to prevent owners applying too little a force when the brakes are hot.
Dave
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Mark, adjust the handbrake to get a positive hold on the first click as Dave says and adjust up till three clicks id almost impossible.
Suspension, change all six spheres. Get a Haynes book of lies and follow the procedures. You will need a special removal tool. If you are near Cambridge I have one you can borrow.
GSF are competetive on spheres and Plaeides of Sawtry, Cambridgeshire do mail order and hire out the tool too. £150 and a mornings work should do the lot. Age and mileage alone warrants this and then back to the magic carpet ride [:D][:D] Robin
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

happened to me about a year ago parked up the car and when i came back it had rolled off down the street stopped only by a fence, i must admit my handbrake cable is pretty slack i'm gonna tighten it now
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

It happened to my 306, with rear discs as the temperature dropped during the evening and it finished up embedded in the back of my neighbours 3 series, which has a towbar, so it made a rare old mess of the 306
Paul.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

If the car was left in gear it wouldnt have rolled away!
Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

I always thought it was part of driver training, as well as common sense, to leave a car in gear when you park it.[:I]
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I always used to leave it in gear as i was taught that in my lessons.Stoped doing it though as i was feed up with my wife starting it in gear and hitting what ever was in front.
She doesn`t drive my cars any more!