A/c,cooling fans

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

A/c,cooling fans

Post by np »

One of my a/c,cooling fans have started to squeek when idling or when turning off the a/c,or turning off engine.Is this anything to worry about?
How easy is it to get the grille off to spray a bit of WD40 on it?
Thanks
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Hi Neil.
If the fans are similar to my BX then I'm afraid to say they are sealed motors.
Having said that the spindle may be dry but it is shrouded by the fan itself making spraying differcult. You might have to remove the fan propeller itself for access.
Might it be the fan fins be touching the case or a foriegn object caught?
Bernie
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by np</i>

One of my a/c,cooling fans have started to squeek when idling or when turning off the a/c,or turning off engine.Is this anything to worry about?
How easy is it to get the grille off to spray a bit of WD40 on it?
Thanks
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Don't under any circumstances use WD40 as a lubricant in this situation.
WD is at best a degreaser and if used in this type of situation is known to wash out the grease or whatever is used as lubricant in the bearings/bushes and then the bearing usually seizes.
I can't speak for Xantia fan motors but we have redone CX motors in the past & fitted new bearings as they were straight out ball races and could be replaced. If these are sealed, they may be rivetted in which case they can be drilled out & replaced using long screws & nuts or failing that, try removing the fan from the car, the blade from the fan and laying it flat, try some ordinary engine oil with something like a gearbox additive added and allow to sit overnight to soak in. I've used that on parts on other machinery in the past with varying amounts of success.
Alan S
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

The fan is not moving freely now.It is squeeking all the time now.You can spin the good one easy,the bad one is a bit stiff.From what i can see,its not fouling anything.Its raining here now so cant do anything about it.If i take it out to have a look/try to lubricate it,can i still run the car with 1 fan?Will the other 1 still work?Or the a/c?
I understand i would have to keep an eye on the temp.
BERNIE,yes,the fan assy looks all sealed.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Sounds like you might have to bite the bullet Neil and get a new/used one or sell the car to ME
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I WILL NOT sell the car to you!I love it to much.Will be keeping it for at least another 2yrs yet.I`ve learnt to live with its little probs.For a car thats 7yrs old & 137k miles its in very good condition.Apart from a bit of wear & tear its fine.Its the main car,& still tows our caravan all over.
Are the fans the same on every model?Or do i have to get one from a TD with A/C?I notice GSF list one.Is that for the whole unit,and for all Xantias???
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Seems to have gone away today.No squeek when the fans are on.Still abit stiff to turn by hand.Will keep an eye on it.Maybe get one from the scrapy.
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Same thing happened to my ZX. One fan started making noise and then, it seized. You can stay with one fan but I would advise against it since when the 2 fans are supposed to start at low speed (series connected) they won't start and when the temperature gets high enough so both fans need to be at high speed (parallel connection) for adequate cooling, you have only one at high speed and takes longer to return temp to normal. In heavy traffic is where you would get the most trouble but If you stay away from traffic and stay at rather constant speed or low load, there shoul not be any problem.