Xantia accumulator change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Xantia accumulator change

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Going to change the accumulator today i hope, before the rain comes. I need to chock the rear wheels, what can i use? What will fit under there if i need to have the car on low setting? Its got to be done today so if it rains please think of me getting wet, very wet. Should be good fun.
Thanks gav425.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

There'll be no problem chocking the rear wheels - a brick back and front will do. If you have a decent sphere wrench to hand, the job shouldn't take more than twenty minutes tops. Front spheres and accumulator are no where near as troublesome as the rears. Be careful that you don't damage the rad with a slipping wrench.
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Ok now how do i get the jack under the car when i put it in low setting, or do i jack first then lower. would the car lwt me do this if the front is in the air.
Oh i must seem like some sort of simpleton. sorry.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Put the jack under the car first. It is the releasing of the pressure thats important. R.
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Right car is now sat on stands under the sills and the jack is sat under subframe, so car should be safe.
But i just can turn the little blighter, what can i use to turn it?
Do you ever get that feeling your turning it the wrong way? lol
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

If it's not too tight an strong oil filter remover will do it, if it is tight a chain wrench or in the worst case a long blunt metal chisel and a sledgehammer - aim at the weld seam on the "equator" of the sphere at a tangent.
Of course you can avoid all these problems by buying/loaning a proper sphere remover.
//NiSk
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

I found little room to get any tool onto the accumulator. I used a large jubilee clip tightened around the sphere, then used a screwdriver as a punch and hit the bit you tighten up. This works well and is a bit more controlled than just using a chisel.
Just a suggestion.
Cheers
Duncan
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Thankyou all job done, hit with chisel and off it came. good old forum.
[:D] cheers [:D]
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

When i removed the accumulator some old LHM came out, not much. It was very dirty brown/yellow, i think its LHM change time. Will have to look though to get some tips on this.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gav425</i>

It was very dirty brown/yellow,
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sounds as though it might be original!!! If you intend to keep the car (or another hydraulic Cit) you should consider getting the proper tool for spheres. It makes removal easy. Or use the search facility - there are some useful descriptions for making them.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I changed the LHM & filters last year as it was brown.Easy job to do.The tanks a bit fiddley to get out,& make sure you label/mark the pipes so you know where there from.Easy job though.Improved the ride as well.If you want more details,just ask.
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

JohnD, definitely keeping the car for sometime its great. I have done oil changes and brakes on my first car, an old metro, but the Xantia and Citroen seem to have given me a bug and I like that.Its a good feeling to know that i did something on my car.[:D]
Neil p, Yes please to your offer of more details for the LHM change, this is what makes the internet so good lots of people who I don’t even know offering to help me with their time all for nothing[:D]. I see that the hydraflush is £13.50+vat at GSF, how much are the filters I could not find them in the online shop.
Thanks.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Didn't need to change filters, just gave them a damn good clean, I used this as a guide, done by Anders i think.......
http://www.citroenz.com/forum/viewtopic ... c56f5b4f7b
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

The above link.Pretty much what Haynes says.
On the Xantia,lower the car and WITH the engine running depressurise.When lifting the tank out,it is jammed into rubber gromets.So it feels like it is still secured when trying to remove.Brute force works.
I found i didn`t have pour some LHM into prime it,as it is self priming.Although thats the procedure on the link if you have to prime it.
I used a touch up paint stick to dot the pipes so i knew where they went.
Filters were about £15 for both from Citroen.I thought i may as well change them as apposed to cleaning them.Personal preference i supose.I also renewed the pipe fittings with jubilie clips as it`s easyier next time.