AX non starter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

timbo
My Cars:

AX non starter

Post by timbo »

any help please, i can't get my AX 1.0 to start,turn key to first position battery light comes on,position 2 all warning lights come on followed by some clicking sounds then warning lights fade, petrol neadle drops to zero,then clicking stops warning lights normal fuel gauge normal,turn to position 3 to start car warning lights fade sometimes can hear starter motor and solonoid but does not turn engine over.
bump starts ok and runs ok changed starter motor but no difference,had no warning of anything failing, what else can i check,could it be ignition switch anyone had the same.HELP
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I fear it simply could be the battery [8)]
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Sounds like mine when I had a duff battery. I doubted the battery would be at fault, as when it worked it seemed to work well, but sure enough a new one sorted the problem.
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Get a multimeter and put it on the battery before putting the key in the ignition, it should ready about 12.5volts, then get a friend to turn the ignition on to position 2, it shouldnt drop below 12.4 here, and finally try to start the engine, it should stay above 10volts with the engine turning over, if its any lower, first check the electrolyte level in all 6 cells of the battery, top them up with de ionised water if necesary (if you put a significant amount in, you will need to charge the battery up),
if your still haveing problems, read this paragraph!, take the meter off the battery, bump start the car and then put the meter back on the battery, it should be around 13.8 volts now, if it isnt then your alternator is dead, if it is, then your battery is dead, replace dead part and all should be ok
timbo
My Cars:

Post by timbo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mosser</i>

Get a multimeter and put it on the battery before putting the key in the ignition, it should ready about 12.5volts, then get a friend to turn the ignition on to position 2, it shouldnt drop below 12.4 here, and finally try to start the engine, it should stay above 10volts with the engine turning over, if its any lower, first check the electrolyte level in all 6 cells of the battery, top them up with de ionised water if necesary (if you put a significant amount in, you will need to charge the battery up),
if your still haveing problems, read this paragraph!, take the meter off the battery, bump start the car and then put the meter back on the battery, it should be around 13.8 volts now, if it isnt then your alternator is dead, if it is, then your battery is dead, replace dead part and all should be ok
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
put volt meter across batery 12.5 turned ignition to 2nd position volts droped to below 7.0 (rapid clicking sound) then volts back up to 12ish turn to 3rd position volts drop to zero (no start but sometimes can hear the solinoid click
Tim[:(]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Tim
Charge your battery and try again, and then check for alternator working (belt OK?) as per Mosser
timbo
My Cars:

Post by timbo »

Thanks everyone you were right BATTERY could not believe it
should have check on here first never mind
Tim (expert at changing a starter motor on a AX)[:)]