Xantia 1.9td-Creaks and Groans -embarassing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Immatoity

Xantia 1.9td-Creaks and Groans -embarassing

Post by Immatoity »

hi
The back end of my Xantia 1.9TD 1994 creaks/squeaks terribly when its lowering itself after i switch engine off, and when I am driving along..
Sphere problem referred to below by some now sorted (edited 28/4/05).
But I have got to sort the terrible noise out!
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

We need someone to confirm this but I did not think the Xantia lowered itself after parking, anti sink valves fitted? Certainly mine doesn't sink.
The bounce I suspect can only be spheres. Were the spheres from a reputable source?
Try the Citaerobics a few times to check for full operation of the system. Up. down, up, down several times and then, with engine running, depress the front by sitting on it to see if it recovers, same at rear by sitting on boot sill and then do same again with engine off to test accumulator sphere which should raise the rear after you sit on and stay on the boot sill.
A few creaks and groans from the front struts seems about par for the course but a little rubber lubricant under the rubber boots on the struts can help to silence them.
Search the site for other tips and ideas. Top right hand corner of the page. Good luck, R
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Two things can cause these symptoms, as Robin says bad spheres, or if not that a dodgy height corrector setup (rust), if the height is too high the spheres can be compressed to the maximum with little or no movement left in them, then the suspension becomes solid and very bouncy, but this is easily diagnosed as the car will sit very high on the suspension.
If it looks normal and is extremely bouncy then its most likely the spheres, but check the LHM and do some citaerobics first.
Dave
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Early Xantia`s didn`t have anti sink.If i could find my book of lies i would tell you the year.Around 1995 i think.Later models had the anti sink valve fitted.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Manual doesn`t say what year.
"Early models would sink when the engine is stopped......later models had a valve fitted....therefore would not sink"
Immatoity

Post by Immatoity »

[8D]its at the back it seems to creak when lowering itself after prking....anyway thanks guys
i did citaerobics yesterday and when going back to "normal" the back went down but front didnt..had to lower it fully and then back up to normal to get it to level out...
seems it must be height corrector then...when you say dodgy setup =rust...is it rectifiable or do i need a new one?
cheers
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

It can be either the linkages gone rusty at the pivots, or the actual slide valve of the height corrector its self can be partialy siezed, you wont know untill you get under (SAFELY) and have a look.
Compare the movement of the slide valve at the front of the car with the one at the rear, they should move in and out quite easy with sustained pressure, in my experience the front suspension doesn't move about as much as the rear, this lack of suspension movement can rob the slide of lubricant and it slowly siezes, during this phase its not uncommon to see the front of the car doing a bit of a dance before it finaly settles after playing with the height lever.
If the likage is at fault this is recoverable with a bit of effort, if the valve has gone stiff its maybe better to bite the bullet and fit new, or at least a good used unit, all depends how much you value your car.
Dave
Immatoity

Post by Immatoity »

Hi Guys..before you moan about not searching... my works firewall "bans" me from searching the site...
anyway.. the squeaking/creaking from the back-end is now at horrendously embarassing levels.... I have got to sort it out..
Reading other posts on here it seems it might be "rear arm bearings"??
if it is, they seem like a total nightmare to replace (correct me if I am wrong).. would it be easier for me to replace "whole assembly"..bearing in mind I hope these assemblies aren't the ones that cost £165 each from GSF.. I can't afford that!
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by np</i>

Early Xantia`s didn`t have anti sink.If i could find my book of lies i would tell you the year.Around 1995 i think.Later models had the anti sink valve fitted.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yep, you're right NP, mine sinks like a guddun when I switch off - 1994, no antisink [:)]
Immatoity

Post by Immatoity »

same here....
any answers on the creaking/ arm/ bearings lads?
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

With suspension on "high",and from a distance of around 10ft,do the rear wheels look like / \ or \ / ? If they do, then the rear bearings are shot.
Have you tryed lubing the rams?
Immatoity

Post by Immatoity »

I will try that... sure I did it a while ago and they looked ok...
My poor Dad has been under the car lubing everything he can see..seems to be worse now!!
Getting desperate here...don't really want to take it to a dealer/garage... its just finding the cause!
I am willing to record the noise and email it to any kind volunteer...
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Make sure the car's on axle stands!!!
Immatoity

Post by Immatoity »

Hiya
Yeah My dad puts it up on stands when he has a look... I haven't had chance to do the "10ft test yet"... if wheels don't look out of kilter...what do I look for next?
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Why don't you put the back end up on ramps, then slide underneath and listen whilst Dad raises and lowers the suspension? a length of rubber tube used as a stethoscope might help you to locate the noise accurately. It might pay you to have a listen at the suspension cylinders as well.