R134a refridgerant

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bernie
My Cars:

R134a refridgerant

Post by bernie »

When a a/c system is gassed up you obviously pay for the labour and refridgerant.
What happens to the R134a when a system is depressurised, again it is obviously removed from the system but is it reuseable? if so does the operator buy back the r134a?[?][?][?]
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Bernie - as I understand it the A/C firm are legally obliged to remove and recycle any refrigerant left in the system, hence it's not a "buyback" as only they are licensed to fill/empty a/c systems.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

It's "supposed" to be collected in things like a bladder from a wine cask & returned to a supplier for "recycling in an environmentally friendly manner" (read some long haired lout with a sharp knife stabbing the bag & burning the bladder in an open incinerator) [:0][:0]
Some of the machines used to evacuate and recharge are capable of acually taking the gas, running it through a dryer/filter arrangement and recycling it back into the system; I was never financially capable of obtaining one of those machines basically due to the fact it was in the "twilight" of my career.[:D][:D][}:)]
The cost of those systems would justify re-charging for the recycled gas, believe me.[;)]
Alan S
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

most modern auto A/C recharge stations suck out the refidgerant thats left in the system & the machine 're-charges' it & puts it back in with extra if needed.
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

we do air con at work and we have the gas bottle on the back of the machine.
if we take the gas out of the car it goes back in to the gas bottle and just gets used again.
if it is the old stuff we have to change the bottle to take the gas out and send it away.
hope this helps