XM engine mounts failure?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jvgavila
My Cars:

XM engine mounts failure?

Post by jvgavila »

Hello from Spain!
During last trip (Friday 14th June) to the car breaker, my XM decided to develop a new fault (appart from an intermittent electrical one... more about this on another message)
When you accelerate, sometimes a vibration develops which moves the gear change shaft (BTW, my XM has manual change) and a noise is heard at same rate as the vibration. I have observed this at different speeds so it is not speed related.
Besides, I have observed that, when stopping the engine, I get a 'clunk' noise coming from the engine bay.
Could these faults be related with a faulty engine mount?. Any other hint about this trouble and possible causes?
Thanks for your help!
Regards,
JOSE
1992 XM 2.0 Turbo CT
1997 ZX 1.9D
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hi Jose,
Thanks for joining.
I think that you should look at the bottom engine mount on your XM, this is the one that bolts to the subframe, and its in a mounting that the right hand driveshaft passes through.
Quite often the round rubber part of this mount fails. To see if this is the problem, try tightening the nut and bolt (17mm head I think) that passes through the mount to see if this improves matters.
Jon Wood
IT Supervisor
GSF t/as Andyspares
jvgavila
My Cars:

Post by jvgavila »

Hi Jon,
Thanks for answering my query... I was getting a bit frustrated as nobody answered me ;-)
I took the car yesterday to the Citroën garage as I recently found a used aircon compressor (it was still mounted in the breakers XM so it was not contaminated by air) and wanted to replace it ASAP. They will look also at the engine mounts. I will let you know what they find.
Regards,
JOSE
1992 XM 2.0 Turbo CT
1997 ZX 1.9D