Xantia: coolant leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndyP
My Cars:

Xantia: coolant leak

Post by AndyP »

Xantia 1.8i 8v
I have a small water leak which appears to be down the back of the engine somewhere. Have peered down there with a torch but it's not obvious (among all the greasy gunk) as to the location of the leak. If I park the car after a drive then there is a small damp patch after a while and there is quite a significant vacumn in the cooling system when I remove the expansion tank cap - so I presume that the water is being forced out under pressure and then it contracts when cool. I would have presumed that a small split in a hose could cause this sort of symptom and so I was wondering if there is a common fault area to which I can direct my attention.
Any help gratefully received.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Andy, thank you for your thoughts on my problem. However with yours - do you have aircon? This leaves a nice and sometimes puzzling pool under the car after use. Just an idle thought. Robin
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Andy,
Are you sure you're getting vacuum in the system and not pressure?
On the diesels there is a plastic or aluminimum housing on the back of the engine that collects various hoses for the water pump suction. This is known the give leak problems - and I imagine it is also present on petrol engines as the block is nearly the same. You'll need tp get it up in the air to see where it is coming from anyway.
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

A common fault (i have been told by a citroen mechanic) on Xantia's, which happened on mine, is for the heater matrix hose which runs from the engine block to the bulkhead can split and leak coolant. mine started off slow and then really went for it. Take the sump guard off and get under the car and see if you can look from underneath at the back of the engine, because if it is that hose which is leaking, you won't be able to see it from looking down from the engine compartment.
AndyP
My Cars:

Post by AndyP »

Yeah, I'm pretty certain it's vacuum not pressue in the cooling system (when cold). When hot it is obviously pressure.
Yes, I do have a/c but I'm also definitely losing water.
Will take a look at the heater matrix hoses, it's not leaking inside the car (which is encouraging I suppose) so it's probably not the matrix itself.
Thanks all.
AndyP
My Cars:

Post by AndyP »

Think I <i>may</i> have sussed it. On mine there is a little stub with what looks like a tyre valve cap on the left of the two hoses that connects to the heater maxtrix up under the bulkhead behind the cam cover. It seems to be leaking a little and dripping down the back of the engine. Eureka (I hope) ...
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

That is one of the bleed screws for the coolant system, and its a standard schraeder valve so should be v.easy to sort out if thats the gremlin.