Dodgy Carb

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gooffy
My Cars:

Dodgy Carb

Post by Gooffy »

Hi my son has a BX16TRS - 1986. When he bought it it lacked power and stalled a lot. We paid big time for a solenoid in the carb and it has run really well for 18 months. Now it is stalling at intersections and traffic lights and the power dies when you put your foot down on the accelerator. You have to work the manual choke to keep up the revs but mostly it just dies and stalls. Can any one suggest where to start looking to solve this? A guy at the local garage suggested the accelerator pump is the problem.
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

There's a hose connecting vaccuum to the carb. This fits onto a black plastic thing on the carb. If the black plastic thing has a small crack, like mine had, it lets air in so that the car stalls at intersections and traffic lights .... Something to do with the vaccuum advance on acceleration. It took me months to find that, and about 50p to fix.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

It's the square vacuum pod fitted on the side of the carb. Not only can it have cracks, but often the small rubber hose is cracked (rotten).
Just had a cracked rubber hose from bottom of carb to oil filler on my '89 16TRS. This engine would also die on halts in traffic when warm.
Generally go over all the rubber hosing on the engine, meaning disassemble the lot to see if it still holds anything under the clamps. I bet you find a few more candidates to be replaced. The rubber simply crumbles over the years.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Also could be blocked idle jet, or wrong carb level. Accelerator pump easy to check - take the air pipe off the top of the carb and look down the venturi whilst opening the throttle - you should see a squirt of petrol going down there. Failed acc pump causes the engine to stutter as you open the throttle though.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Having previously owned a 16Trs and presently have one getting ready to put back into service, I've found these tend to have a lot of problems with getting crap in the carby.
I found the only logical solution is to fit a good quality filter before the fuel pump and a smaller one between it and the carb after first blowing out the jets thoroughly. The crud comes from he insides of the fuel lines and fuel tank I've been told due to the age of the synthetic material they're made of.
Also, be extremely careful when you pull the jets out of the carb to clean them as the idle jet should be a size 45 but the two centre jets are fairly close in size and I know of one mechanic who reckoned I put mine back assabout, yet when I owned the car it did 7.2 litres/100 klms and ran well but after this goose had a play it guzzled gas and ran shocking, so obviously one of us was wrong.[:D][}:)][:D]
Another thing also; what kind of fuel are you using? I see you're in NZ so if your LRP is the same as ours, it's quality is so variable it's almost impossible to properly tune an engine to it. Run on PULP and you'll find the difference in price will be more than compensated in savings on useage of fuel.
Alan S
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I owned a couple of BX16RS' they both had trouble with dirt coming through the fuel line as AlanS says.
One also had the gasket in the middle of the carb disintegrate.
Gooffy
My Cars:

Post by Gooffy »

Hi. Thanks for your help. It's Friday night here in NZ so I have the weekend to go over the car and see if I can get it going better. Will report progress next week.