footwell flood

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

meexi
My Cars:

footwell flood

Post by meexi »

Hi,
Woke up this morning after the downpour to discover a big pool of water in the passenger footwell. Does anyone know where i should start to look for this leak?
1999 xantia hdi estate
Meexi
crooser

Post by crooser »

OUTSIDE.no only kidding.you will probably have to check the normal places ie,windscreen surround,scuttle and rear door surround.you may be lucky and find that you left a window open a minute fraction.
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i had exactly the same problem and was coming from around scuttle, the panel around the wipers its a plastic trim and the water was leaking underneath it, just sealed it with clear silicon no problems now, its a common problem if its had the windscreen replaced.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

I not sure what drains your model has but a few things to check as on some cars.
1) If you have a sun roof that slides and tilts, then check that the drain holes and tubes are not blocked, found in the corners of the roof going down to the base of the car.
2) Again as mentioned some cars have a drain grommet or hose from the scuttle areas, check that they are not blocked with leaves etc.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I had this same problem, wet carpets in the footwells, it was caused by the drains in front the windscreen being filled with leaves. Emptied the drains using a vacuum cleaner (my mothers vacuum cleaner is now filled with wet leaves) now everything is dry.
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

If it was mine I'd drill a hole in the floor and sell it. I suppose some people have morals though!
farnellp
My Cars:

Post by farnellp »

Hi,
I have the same problem with my Xantia, but the water comes in through the door, presumably entering where the glass meets the (rather worn) rubber seal. It gets into the footwell from the bottom of the door, between the door and the seal. Check to see if you can see water weeping in at the top of the sill.
I dont have a fix for it though, just a mop ;-)
Regards,
Pete
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

if your clearing leaves from the scuttle, check the inner wing too, just unscrew the back of the front wheel arch and put your hand inside have a feel about and check there's no leaves stuck there.
Also mind the alarm!!
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Did that don't feel nice[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
debutant
My Cars:

Post by debutant »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davethewheel</i>

i had exactly the same problem and was coming from around scuttle, the panel around the wipers its a plastic trim and the water was leaking underneath it, just sealed it with clear silicon no problems now, its a common problem if its had the windscreen replaced.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The scuttle won't ever cause that much water in the footwell.Look for the obvious ... on the passenger side, underneath the scuttle there is a drain to get the water out. What often happens is that leaves and other stuff accumulates there!. I broke a part out of my scuttle so I could easy reach with my hand and get the leaves etc. out. Since then I never saw water again inside the car!
Cheers,
John