Engine Change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AlWilliams
My Cars:

Engine Change

Post by AlWilliams »

I am looking at dropping a new engine and box into my ZX TD volcane, as the current occupants are starting to miss behave. I am looking at a straight swap with a citroen 1.9TD, I have the tools and ability but what I do not know is wheather the Xantia engine and box will fit, as it's one of the options for a doner.
Any advice greatly apreciated.
Thanks
Al
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The early Xantia engine and gearbox are the same type fitted to the ZX, but the later Xantias (1996 onwards ?) have an ECU that the earlier ones didn't, this is the only complication I can forsea, and even if it did arise, you could swap over the fuel pump.
The Xantia has some bits and pieces that the ZX won't namely a Hyrdaulic pump and hydraulic pressure regulator on the engine, these will both come off without any trouble.
Engine mounts, intercooler/pipework and exhaust are all different too but you'll be keeping these from the ZX.
All in all it can be done, there will be a few bits that are different but the basic engine and gearbox should swap over after you've changed the fidly bits that dont match.
bigpete
My Cars:

Post by bigpete »

If you interested I've got a XUD TD in my ZX if you fancy it, it may well make the whole swap around alot easier. It's an enigne straight out of a 405 with 75000 miles on the clock. I had it changed after the head gasket went on the old one for the second time. It's got a new cambelt and a new radiator. I selling the car cos some monkey side swiped the car 5 days after getting it all sorted. The swine then does a runner and I'm left with no insurance to claim off and I can't afford to fix it. I've got it on ebay at the moment if you want to have a look
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :B:LC:UK:1
It's also in the "For Sale and Wanted" bit on the forum here. If you're interested and the is engine really sweet, definatley more powerfull than the old one believe me! just give a shout...(peteredwards @ mail.com). Just a thought like.
Pete