Remove valves before skiming head?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

billy_bob

Remove valves before skiming head?

Post by billy_bob »

Just taken the cylinder head off my ZX 1.9d and need to take it to the enginners for a skimming.
I have stripped off the extras from the head but wonder if I need to remove the valves too? There seems to be about 1mm recess in the head that the valves sit in? Can I get away with this?
Thanks in advance,
Billy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

As a rule of thumb the valves must be removed for a head skimming.
But since this is a rather troublesome job for the home mechanic, it's best to leave the bits on and let the shop do it.
They would only charge negligible extra.
The short answer : dont bother [;)]
billy_bob

Post by billy_bob »

Thanks Anders.
I feel that I can <i>maybe</i> see light at the end of the tunnel ... [?]
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Taking the entirely opposite view, I think they will charge you quite a bit extra, as you are not just asking them to skim the head, but strip and dismantle it too, quite a bit of work which they won't be doing for nothing, and they will be charging you for the time accordingly- the clean and skim will be the cheap part of the job, believe me........its a bit like taking your block in for a rebore and not taking the crank and pistons out first!!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Should we just take this with a grane of salt [?][8)]
Firstly : I assume the cam axle is removed.
Secondly : the shop has the snap on quick tools for the job, and I suppose they answer the phone if you like to re-assure yourself before the job.
Thirdly : YES I know it's not exactly 100% the same engine - but last time I did for a BX XUD head, it was no extra charge. But yes - normally would be some 5-10£ extra charge according to labour.
billy_bob

Post by billy_bob »

To clear things up, yes the cam shaft is removed, as are all other peripherals.
I don't own a valve compression tool (perhaps a good investment for the future), so removing the valves will be a bit of a problem. Maybe paying £10 labour isn't too much for an easier life?
On the other hand, are you saying that the valve <b>will</b> need to come out, BXBodger?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Skimming could be done with the valves in situ, but it's not normal practice- when the head is being skimmed it's wallowing in a bath of abrasive liquid which you certainly won't want to find its way into the springs, valves, guides, collets, etc!- a reputable engineer will want them removed first.
I am not sure if the ZX engine has rubber valve guide oil seals or not- if it does then the chemical cleaner they should use before skimming will ruin them if they are not first removed.
Are they really only charging a tenner for dismantling- if so, then let them do it- it's a bargain[:)], but if it's only a metaphorical tenner, get a written quote first!!!!
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

It doesnt take long to remove your own valves with a spring compressor and they are only about £25-30 from halfrauds,
Or if you live near Warminster in Wiltshire you can borrow mine for free !
TheWorker
My Cars:

Post by TheWorker »

if you buy a gasket set,it should come with all the bits you need including valve seals. give them to the skim place and they wont charge you for ones they fit from their stock