A/C sequence of events

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Initial charge of nitrogen to test for leaks, seconds later psssstttt[?][?].
Condensor holed.[xx(][xx(]
BUGGER[:(][:(]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Nice weather today, innit!
Sorry to hear about it Bernie. I think you'll be looking for a substitute condensor. Good BX ones are thin on the ground. The TD one will fit better into your car won't it?
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

It's been too bloody hot and sunny[:(]
Yes Tom, the TD version would be a better fit if I could get one.
I've just checked the E*rocar site, they list a new 16v one at £135.
Can you better that Jon?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

At the risk of being larfed at & charfed at, what pressure of nitro was run through the system?
If you're dealing with someone who "picked a bita info up as he went along" he may be falling for the oldest trick in the book; they read about running nitro through the system, get hold of a bottle and proceed to whack a charge into the system. It comes out of the bottle at around 2500/3500 psi. It should <b>always</b> be run through a regulator but many don't.
The high pressure side of the system will be running below 200 psi most of the time so testing beyond about 400 is really innecessary although up to 500 isn't all that uncommon and is usually shown on the HP parts as the test pressure.
You wouldn't be the first with a few "faulty" components that wouldn't stand up to "testing" and subsequently discover that the supplier won't cover the warranty when pertinent questions are asked about testing procedures.
I almost had my head blown off one day when I was about to stick it into a freezing chamber on a big fridge as I listened for an oil lock to release just as some turkey turned the valve wide open on the bottle and blew the evaporator to kingdom come. Two seconds later, my head would have gone with it.
Alan S
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Good morning Alan (well it's 9.26AM here).[:)]
I can only go on what the professionals say, he did have a regulator on the test unit.[^]
It actually blew at the joint between a steel fixing post and the alluminium matrix.
I'm just deciding my next move as the proper fitting condensor is unavailable and the 16v unit ,which looks like it may be,is not the best of fits and may fail again.[V][V]
Bernie
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Although it will be anathema to Alan, the best way to pressure test a vessel is full of liquid. Fail under pressure causes the liquid to leak but air/ nitrogen causes the vessel to burst.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

anathema
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That's easy for you to say[:D]
PS. you watching the bloody internet again, I've told you you'll get a rash and go blind[xx(]
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

the best way to pressure test a vessel is full of liquid.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
What liquid would you suggest?
Obviously can't use water.[V]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

White spirit?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

The only liquid I have ever used in a refrigeration system is methanol. We used to use that to dissolve moisture in the early days of sealed units and before the days of two stage vacuum pumps. It was made illegal to use after a couple of guys at the factories doing warranty work on sealed units got blown up whilst silver soldering and welding.
The nitro was only used as a means to blow the systems through and these days they usually use a set up that is electronically sensed; it draws a vacuum on the system and it's indicated by a series of green LEDs when the system's fully evacuated.
The system is left overnight and the next day is again exposed to the evacuation system and charging station. The amount of variation if there is any in the vacuum reading gives an indication if there's moisture in the system or a leak. If a leak, a tracer dye is put into the system and it is then given time to leak and the entire system is looked over using an ultra violet light; similar to the blue lights at discos; it makes any leaks stand out like dogs b@!!$ and they are rectified.
By contrast, I've walked into workshops where this nitro caper has been used and seen lines of fridges, particularly chest freezers and air/cons with their gutses blown out from being over pressurised. I have to admit if they can withstand some of the pressures these guys subject them to they are usually pretty long term reliable, but there's an aweful lot of good systems get blown up in the intervening period.
Alan S