timing belt alignment on 16v

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

colin.dibley
My Cars:

timing belt alignment on 16v

Post by colin.dibley »

this refers to a belt change on the xu7; this is my second time round, the first was earlier in the year on a different car. that went well after some much appreciated help from forum members, especially Anders - thanks for that!
the first was my brother's car - now i'm doing my own. i've spent some time attempting to line up the pins in the pulleys. unfortunately, while the 2 camshaft pins go in ok, the crank pulley is quite a long way out.
i expect i'm doing something stupid, but have been trying for quite a while. not taken anything off yet, & the car has been running ok - the belt change is preventative.
reading other entires on the forum, it suggests a possible explanation could be that the crank pulley has been previously put back without a key, or that the belt has slipped.
does anyone have any explanations for this please, or indeed, how i should proceed? i can only think to put the new belt on with the timing as it is currently - i figure by marking the pulley & crank positions, i can do this without the use of the pin in the crank.
any comments would be appreciated.
(both jobs have been on p406 18v, but i've had some great help before from the citroen experts, so trying my luck again! thanks in advance)
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi click the link, Click on engines at the top & then click on XU7JP engine under where it says camshaft timing in the list on the left of screen.
http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/base/workshop.htm
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

If this is one of the models that has the locating pin going through the actual crankshaft pulley (as opposed to the boss it fits to as on the BX16V) then it seems that the most common problem is the harmonic balance is on the way out and the pulley has moved on it's base.
A harmonic balance is a pulley mounted on a boss via rubber and with age and wear the pulley begins to move on the boss.
If the car is still assembled and running, a fine line drawn with "white out" across the face of the pulley and then the engine run for a while often reveals the movement due to the line no longer staying straight.
If this is the case, a new harmonic balance is the answer. There are also models in these engines who set the valve timing whilst the engine is halfway up the stroke I understand. They have been discussed previously and a search of this forum should find them.
Alan S